Girls Ski Team Makes it to States

Olivia Rosenthal
Pictured at the GS Race on Friday from left to right: Olivia Rosenthal, Summer Schnabolk, Anna Reilly, Hannah Vinegra, Valentina Christen, Sofia Parente, and Lola Parente

Despite record breaking high temperatures this January and February the Ski team was able to fit all 6 of the conference races into their schedule this season. Due to the weather the season had a huge delay with all races and practices getting pushed back two weeks. The schedule was constantly being changed and updated daily; but the officials, coaches, mountains, and racers found a way to finish the season strong.

The girls finished their last Giant Slalom race on February 17th, coming in 1st out of 6th with a combined time of 7:06.64. The last time the girls team won a race was in 2017, so beating everyone in their conference, as well as the other conference they raced against, proves just how strong of a team they are this year. This race could be considered the most important race of the year, because it was what solidified their spot in placing for states. The Girls team placed 9th out of 20 teams, and due to the Petro qualifying race being canceled, the top 11 teams moved on to states.

Hannah Vinegra ‘26, led the team on Friday finishing the race in second place. Summer Schnabolk ‘23, Anna Reilly ‘24, Andalora Parente ‘25, Olivia Rosenthal ‘25, Valentina Christen ‘26, and Vinegra all placed in the top 12 which is what helped them place first overall. This is not the first time the team has placed high during a race. For their third and final slalom race, they came in 2nd place, right behind IHA. Vinegra has placed in the top 20 every single time during the regular season, and placed in the top 5 twice. As a result, she has also qualified for the ROC, the individual states. Vinegra will compete against the top 40 racers from New Jersey on Wednesday February 22nd. The top 12 racers from the Race of Champions will then go on to Eastern HS Regionals in Cannon, New Hampshire to represent NJ and race for the state.

The Girls Ski Team has not qualified for states since 2018 where they came in 9th place out of 11th. This was a goal many racers on the team made this year, as they didn’t make it last year, despite being close to qualifying. The Giant Slalom states will take place on Friday February 24th at Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ, and the Slalom States will take place on Monday 27th at Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ. The team is very hopeful and excited as they enter states this week, and are hopeful to place in the top three. Regardless, the team’s future looks bright with many talented and strong freshmen and sophomores on the team.