BHS to host first-ever winter formal

Winter+formal+flier%2C+which+includes+entry+fee%2C+date%2C+and+time+
Lexi Shafer
Winter formal flier, which includes entry fee, date, and time

For the first time in years, Bernards High School has decided to bring back school dances, more specifically, a winter formal dance that will take place on February 10th. Talks of a possible dance have been flooding the school for months, but it wasn’t until recently that this winter formal has become an official school event. Thanks to our student council, this formal will be for grades nine through twelve, which will be a great opportunity for underclassmen to experience a school dance before prom and for all grades to come together to have an exciting night. 

Considering that the student council is in charge of planning student events for the school year, our particular student council this year was extremely interested in bringing back a genuine school dance for everybody. Originally, there was initial interest in doing a Homecoming Dance, but the Student Council couldn’t find a date that worked, so they switched it to a winter formal. 

This year is especially thrilling as BHS has not had a dance in a long time besides prom, which is exclusively for upperclassmen. According to Dr. Neigel, “In years past, we have had a variety of student dances: Homecoming, Sadie Hawkins, and other themed events. Because of poor attendance at these dances,” he states, “about four years ago the student council decided to run a dodgeball tournament instead of a dance. This year’s student council has chosen to run both the dodgeball tournament and the dance, which is great.” 

This year it was decided to have a winter formal due to the amount of student feedback the student council has received about how students would be very excited about one. Senior Class President, Lexi Shafer, talks about how the student council “was hoping for a homecoming dance, but the timing didn’t work out, therefore landing on a semi-formal and the idea was formed.” She explains that she is “really excited about it, especially because it’s during an otherwise mostly uneventful time for most people.”

Interested and excited, students at BHS have also been giving their opinions on this new winter formal dance in hopes that it will be a fun new tradition for our school. 

Jessica Hickman ‘23 speaks that “since this is my last year, I am going to the dance and I am excited to dress up and dance with my friends. I think it’s cool how our student council has stepped up in creating this dance for all grades, it gives students a chance to socialize and have a little breather.”

The winter formal has caused a major buzz throughout the halls . The dance will be on February 10th, from 6-9 pm. It will be held in the cafeteria with snacks, a DJ and a semi-formal attire dress code to show up in. 

View Comments (1)