EXCLUSIVE: Former NFL Punter Kluwe Interviews with The Crimson

Former Vikings and Raiders Punter Chris Kluwe gives his opinion on the NFL, concussions, and life.

Chris Kluwe, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings and Oakland Raiders, is not at a loss for opinions. A popular author and gamer, Kluwe’s 2012 tirade against a Maryland legislator who tried to pressure the Baltimore Ravens into silencing a player who spoke up for gay rights went viral and may have helped cost him a shot to return to the NFL as a punter this season. Even though he doesn’t have a job in the NFL right now, he’ll speak his mind about what he thinks about the NFL’s recent settlement with retired players over head injuries, gay rights, the high price of attending NFL games, or even give advice for high school students.  Heck, he’ll even tell you his biggest accomplishment as a young player: Eating an entire bowl of brownie batter and playing a whole soccer game without throwing up.

You wouldn’t think that someone who is vying to try to get back in the NFL would speak so critically of league ownership. In his exclusive interview with The Crimson, Kluwe said, “I think that football in the NFL is inherently a violent game, and that it will always be violent unless it gets changed to something other than football… I think it’s a shame that we don’t get to see what the NFL knew and when they knew it.” In August, the league reached an agreement to settle a class-action lawsuit with over 5,800 plaintiffs worth $765 million. But as Kluwe sees it, the NFL did not take full responsibility when it comes to being fair and honest with its glorified employees, “Responsibility is something we try to teach our children all the time, yet when it comes to the corporate and legal world, it seems like responsibility is something to be avoided at all costs.” He also added, “that’s on us a society to determine what we value more highly – entertainment, or the long term health of those participating.”

As more people are staying at home to enjoy the game with a full wallet, a padded seat and no cold weather and wind, NFL attendance is steadily decreasing. But when people are paying ten dollars for a “coffee” and a water, “Dropping the prices would probably entice more people to come watch games.”

Kluwe takes his responsibilities very seriously as a father, taking care of his two children during his time off from football. In Kluwe recently published a book, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies, Kluwe adds in his opinion on modern political issues as well as chimes in with hilarious stories from his NFL experiences and some science fiction stories. Now, Kluwe is working on a science fiction trilogy with his good friend, Andrew Reiner. In case an NFL team comes calling, he is, “trying to stay in shape by doing Crossfit and kicking at a local sports complex.”

When asked what his super bowl prediction is, Kluwe joked, “I’ll let you know when the game is over.”

Kluwe has also been an avid supporter of gay rights throughout his professional career and states that in his opinion, “I think he would be well received by most of the guys in the locker room, but that coaches and front office would be hesitant because they feel it might cause a distraction.” When Kluwe was asked if he thought a gay player would ever “come out” to the NFL, he said, “I definitely think a gay player will come out one day, but I’m not pressing anyone to try and come out before they’re ready. That’s not my life to live.”

Kluwe offered his advice to high school students, conveying, “Life changes a lot from when you’re in high school to when you become an adult. Try not to take the little things too seriously, and learn how to learn. If you can do an optimized Google search and recognize source bias, you can learn anything you want to in this world… Life changes a lot from when you’re in high school to when you become an adult. Treat others the way you want to be treated.”