STAR program announces their fall events schedule

Sydney Kaul
STAR students Stephane, Thomas, and Hudson celebrate the spooky season during their lunch party

The beginning of the school year is an extremely special and valuable time for the STARR students at Bernards High School. As everyone gets back into their routine in the new school year and the weather begins to get colder, the program has a lot to look forward to!
To kick off the school year, the Best Buddies board members made a significant effort in encouraging more students to join the club. According to senior and club secretary, Summer Conover stated “people should join Best Buddies Club because the STARR students are so fun to hangout with and never fail to put a smile on everyone’s face.”
The first official festivity of the year was a Halloween celebration which was held in the senior lounge. The part consisted of great music, card games such as Uno, and loads of snacks which the Best Buddies Club members provided.
According to Thomas Scott, a member of the STARR program as well as Peer Leadership and the National Honor Society, the best part of the Halloween party was “eating great food and seeing everyone there. I really enjoy hanging out and interacting with everyone.“
In addition to a great party during lunch time, the school store was also open and running on Halloween. The STARR students were extremely busy with a line of both students and faculty who were interested in purchasing some school merchandise, snacks, homemade cupcakes, a cup of coffee, or even the brand new stickers that were designed by the students.
Stephane Sadovnik is a barista at the school store. As she is responsible for brewing the coffee and cappuccinos, she stated “it is a lot of hard work, but being able to interact with everyone makes it worth it.”
In addition to an excellent cup of coffee, the STARRs are also selling stickers for just one dollar that they designed themselves. Through the computer, they were able to design their own graphic image and print it right in the annex.
The STARRS also expressed how they are really hoping to celebrate Thanksgiving this year at school with all of the Best Buddies. In previous years, they even made homemade mashed potatoes and stuffing to sell at the school store. The Best Buddies club is planning a buffet style event where everyone can bring their favorite Thanksgiving food and enjoy everyone’s company and food.
Another event that is schoolwide and coming up quickly is the annual dodgeball tournament. It is divided between the fun and competitive league. Just like last year, the STARR students as well as some of the Best Buddies club members are coming together to formulate a team in the fun league.
Hudson Bricker claims that the dodgeball tournament is by far his favorite event that goes on with Best Buddies club and expressed that he is “so excited to hangout and socialize with his [my] team”
The STARR students and all members of the Best Buddies club have already had a phenomenal first few events within the first few months of school and everyone is extremely excited to see what is coming up in the near future.