School-wide book talk returns for 2022-23 schoolyear

Photo courtesy of Ms. Snyder
Students participating in the school-wide book talk in September, 2022 during the first week of school

The school-wide “Book Talk” has returned to Bernards High School after a two-year hiatus of in-person instruction and learning. The “Book Talk” is a discussion between all grades during their designated English class. Students are put into groups depending on what book they read, and then are prompted to discuss the book with their peers. 

In these small groups, there is typically one student per grade, which allows for a variety of insight and contribution. Each grade is assigned a different task and approach to the book, so during this time, they are able to share their assigned lens or analysis of the book.

The “Book Talk” allow students to gain different perspectives and share new ideas. Lucinda Putnam ’25 thinks that the “Book Talk” is beneficial because she “had never thought about the significance of location, setting, and background in A Flicker in the Dark, so when we met in these small groups, I was able to look at the book in a different light and I gained an even better understanding; it was very eye-opening, interesting, and beneficial.” 

The four book choices this summer were A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham, The Cost of Knowing by Brittney Morris, Permanent Record by Edward Snowden, and Cramm This Book by Olivia Seltzer. 

Mrs. Venezio, Sophomore English teacher, explains that A Flicker in The Dark was “the most popular book because it was easy to read, suspenseful, and creepy.” 

Putnam also agrees that A Flicker in the Dark was the most popular book because “it engages a variety of readers through a suspensful and unpredictable murder-mystery, while also discussing deeper themes and commentary.” 

According to Mrs.Venezio, “the return of book talks went really well. Depending on the groups; there were some who read and enjoyed the books, while others either did not read or were not active in the discussion.” 

She then concluded with the opinion that “the Book Talks will continue because it’s a good way to consort with fellow classmates in other grades.”

Summer Schnabolk ’23 and Putnam both agreed that the Book Talks had a positive impact because they allowed for the students to express their ideas. Overall, the Book Talks seemed to be a success, and look to continue to be apart of curriculum.