Bernards track team takes to Sectional Finals

Richard Mariani
Senior Nicolo Caminiti clearing the bar in high jump

On June 3rd and 4th, BHS track team members who qualified took to Randolph High for the sectional championship. Bernards’ roster consisted of 51 athletes across various events. Among those who participated, seven qualified for groups across eight events.

Junior Patrick Griffin set a personal record in the boys 800 Meter race of 1 minute and 59.06 seconds. Griffin’s time was good for second in the section and a trip to groups. In the girls 800, Junior Sophia Santoro also set a personal record of 2 minutes and 28 seconds, also good enough to qualify for groups.

Freshman Ayla Johnson ran a 400 Hurdles time of 1 minute 10.75 seconds, finishing 4th in the section and qualifying for groups. Another freshman, Spencer Sorge, ran a 2 mile/3200 Meter time of 12 minute and 59 seconds with a 5th place finish to qualify.
It was a big day for the Caminiti twins, as Nicolo tied his personal record in the High Jump of 6 feet, and finished second in the section. On the track, Andino finished the 110 High Hurdles race with a time of 16.71 seconds and 6th place in the section. Both qualified for groups.

One member of the Bernards team qualified in multiple events. Junior Sydney Osborne set a personal record in the 100 Meter with a time of 12.96 seconds, as well as a PR in long jump of 15 feet and 6.5 inches.
When asked what such an accomplishment meant to her, Osborne said “Obviously it feels good because the whole season we’ve been preparing for sections, and it feels good to accomplish and complete my goals for this season, and I’m excited to continue on in groups.”

The Group Championships will take place June 10th and 11th at Franklin High School, where the remaining Bernards athletes will look to move on to the Meet of Champions on June 18th.