Boys and Girls spring track mid-season update

Photo via Richard Mariani
Senior Dylan Crain during a meet

The Bernards track team had their first official meet on Sunday, April 9th. In their first Tri meet, against Bridgewater and North Plainfield, 9 girls competed in the 800, and placed 1st through 9th, beating every single opponent. In their most recent meet, Every girl distance runner set their own personal record. Ayla Johnson and Cydney Mcgee are currently top 10 in the skyland conference for the 400 hurdles. 

Coach LaChac, the girls head coach, quotes “The track team is off to an impressive start. Athletes are consistently improving times, and placing well in meets”. The girls team has been performing great, as this is Coach’s Lachac first year as head coach along with it being the first regular season after two years of the Pandemic. “The reset of a majority of athletes completely new to the sport has given me the opportunity to start building a new fondation to the Track and field program, one in which I hope to build upon for years to come. I am enjoying every moment of the experience, and I am excited for the present and future!” includes LaChac. 

Nicolo Caminiti attended the Meet of Champions this winter and made the All-County team. His twin, Andino Caminiti is a star in the 400 meter dash. These brothers dominate the track and their opponents together. 

“We have had a few meets and have been progressing really well, and I’m excited to see where we will be at the end of this championship season” , quoted Andino Caminiti. 

Winter indoor track ended in the beginning of February, with Pat Griffin, Ayla Johnson, Dylan C, Elliot B, and more having an outstanding season. Most of these athletes are continuing to excel through this spring season, as we see more and more great performances. 

Mr. Szostak just celebrated his 20th year coaching, but is no longer coaching during the spring. He has trained athletes to be and perform at their best, and honoring his 20th year Bernard’s track and field came out with the top 20 male and female athletes over the past years.​​ These names included athletes he has trained in the past, tracing all the way back to 2004. 

Come support Bernard’s track at their next race Monday, April 25th against Watchung Hills, North Plainfield, and Franklin.