Spring Sports back in full swing at Bernards

Senior Derek Fuls playing in  home game against North Plainfield
Richard Mariani
Senior Derek Fuls playing in home game against North Plainfield

Girls Lacrosse:
Last year the girls lacrosse team had a record of 9-8, and made it to the semifinal round of states. They beat New Providence 10-7 during the quarterfinal round, but lost against Haddonfield High School 21-1 in the semifinals. This year the team has eight seniors, who are all returning players, with Emily Romano and Casey Falduto as co-captains. Coach McGinn shared, “I am very excited for the season though- the squad is back up to pre-COVID numbers so we are expecting about 80 players. Emily Romano and Casey Falduto are co captains. Can’t wait to get back to work! The theme of the season is Make it Count #brycestrong.” With many of the seniors on the team being returning varsity members they have high hopes to make it farther into the state tournament this upcoming season. The team will have their first preseason scrimmage on March 19th against Millburn High School at the BMS turf, but will officially start their regular season against Hillsborough High School on March 30th at Olcott.
Boys Tennis:
The boy’s tennis team had an impressive season last year with a record of 14-1, and making it all the way to the state finals. In the Skyland Conference they were undefeated 12-0 and were seeded number 2, right under Pingry, and were awarded the title of Valley Division champions. They fell to Summit in the final round 5-0, but have high hopes of making it to the state finals again this year. Their 2022 preseason practices start on March 11th with the first scrimmage on March 28th against New Providence, and luckily most of the team last year were underclassmen. The three returning members and captains this year are Drew Elliot, Doruk Ozel, and Chris Sun; now all seniors are looking forward to redemption against Summit this year. While speaking with Elliot he explained, “I definitely think this year will be our best in my four years. We didn’t graduate anyone from last year (which we went undefeated through sectional finals). Our schedule is definitely going to be much harder, but I’m sure our team is going to work hard to finally be sectional champions!” The team is opening against Vorhees on April 1st, at the BMS tennis courts.
Golf:
The golf team had a record of 6-8 in the Skyland Valley division last year, and is looking to have another strong season this year. Almost every single game they played in was extremely close, even when they didn’t win. In an interview with the head coach Spautz he shared, “The golf team is looking forward to a solid season on the golf course. The team is returning some key players that will make a direct impact this season. Last year the team went 6-8 and is looking to improve on that this upcoming season. We have a balance of both young and upperclassmen that will look to compete in the [Skylands] Valley Division. The team is also looking forward to competing in the Somerset County Tournament.” After not having a 2020 season, getting to have a season last year, even if it wasn’t a full scheduled season, was an accomplishment on its own. The team is scheduled to open their season on April 5th against Somerville High School.
Baseball:
Last year the baseball team made it all the way to the quarterfinal round of the state tournament, after beating Lyndhurst 10-4 in the first round. They lost in a very close game 2-1 against Rutherford HS in the quarterfinals. The team also came in 12th overall in the Skyland conference last year. Although they lost a decent amount of seniors from last year, they still have four returning seniors who have all played on the varsity team before. Aubrey Fresolone, Max Rivetti; captains Austin Tondo and Derek Fuls are the four seniors on the team this year who are looking to make it to states again this year. When asked what he was looking forward to most this season, Fuls shared, “I’m looking forward to going out on the field with my teammates for one more season and hopefully making a deeper run in states” The season started on March 7th with preseason practices and the official season opens with a home game on April 14th against Warren Hills.
Boys Lacrosse:
Boys Lacrosse had a great season last year with a record of 17-2. Making it through each round of the NJSIAA Tournament, they unfortunately lost in the final round 12-6 against Manasquan. Last year the team had 11 seniors, which made up most of the varsity team, but it doesn’t seem like that will majorly affect the team, as they have strong current seniors, juniors, and sophomores to fill up those spots.The captains this year are Seniors Harry Kauffman, Nick Paterno, and 5th year senior Zach Zukowsky. Kauffman shared, “I think we have a great group of kids this year and I believe we will be the best as long as we work hard together everyday.” Opening up the season on March 7th, with the rest of the spring school sports, they started official practices. The first scheduled scrimmage was home at Olcott on March 15th against Pingry High School and the first game of the regular season is an away game on March 30th, against Pope John XXIII HS.
Softball:
The girls softball team opens up their season with a scrimmage on March 22nd against Manville. The first game is currently scheduled against Vorhees on April 1st at BHS. After winning the first round of states 4-0 against Morris Tech, the team unfortunately fell to Parsippany HS 4-0 in the quarterfinal round last year. The team was seeded number 7 in the NJ Section 2, Group 2 conference. Softball had a great season last year with a record of 11-12. The team was made up of mostly underclassmen with the majority of the varsity roster being freshman and sophomores. The two seniors, Ashley Levine and Mia Sbaraglio, along with the captains Levine, junior Caitlyn Sebastian, and sophomore Alexandra Pagonis. While speaking with Sebastian she explained, “I hope that this year, with new faces and returning players, we will be able to come together and play well as a team.” In another interview with senior and captain Levine she shared how she hopes the season will go, “I’m very hopeful about this season. I have complete faith in myself and my teammates and I think we will [win] a lot of games this season.”
Girls and Boys Track:
The girls team started practices on March 7th with most of the other spring sports. The first meet of the 2022 season is on April 9th at the BHS track. The seniors on the team this year are Anna Damratoski, Bridget Lim, Caroline Lewis, Cydney Mcgee, Goda Podius, Kaleigh Reaves, Julia Streger, Sarah Cirillo, and Sarah Squadrito. When Mcgee was asked what she hopes to see this season she explained, “I think that the team looks really strong, and if we keep putting in the work at practice we are definitely going to score well at meets.With the number of upperclassmen this year, with the addition of the underclassmen the team looks like it will have a successful season. The boys team also started practices on March 7th, and will join the girls team at their first meet. Senior Andino Caminiti shared, “Since we have a lot of young talent I hope we can properly cultivate it this season so that the next few years of the program will be among the most successful”