Tom Brady retires after 22 seasons in the NFL

Tom Brady announced his retirement from the game of football via an Instagram post saying he is “not going to make that competitive commitment anymore,” after 22 seasons in which he won a historic seven Super Bowls titles.

The greatest Quarterback in NFL history and arguably one of the greatest athletes of all time, played his final game after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ lost to the Los Angeles Rams in the divisional round of this year’s playoffs. Reports have surfaced that Brady knew it was likely his final game in the NFL.

Retirement buzz and rumors surfaced leading up to the Bucs 30-27 loss to the Rams two Sundays ago, as multiple reports suggested Brady was “noncommittal” about playing after the 2021-2022 NFL season. Following Sunday’s loss, the commotion of Bradys future only grew louder. “I haven’t put a lot of thought into it. I’ll just take it day by day. And we’ll see,” Brady said, via ESPN.

“I have always believed the sport of football is an ‘all-in’ proposition – if a 100% competitive commitment isn’t there, you won’t succeed, and success is what I love so much about our game,” as sources close to Tom believe that his decision to retire has come down to a handful of factors, such as his health and his family. Brady, 44, will shift his focus towards his TB12 brand, Brady Brand and to new endeavors as he believes this is the appropriate time to end his NFL career. Brady also mentioned the “physical, mental and emotional challenge EVERY single day that has allowed [me] to maximize [my] highest potential.”

Buccaneers front office executives’ felt Brady’s retirement was looming, and understood it was “more likely than not” he’d hang up the cleats following the 2022 postseason. Despite leading the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl victory last season and an NFC South championship this season, Brady never wanted a “farewell tour” for his final season in the NFL.

Tom Brady expressed an immense amount of gratitude, “[My] playing career has been such a thrilling ride, and far beyond my imagination, and full of ups and downs,” in his retirement post. Adding that “when you’re in it every day, you really don’t think about any kind of ending. As I sit here now, however, I think of all the great players and coaches I was privileged to play with and against — the competition was fierce and deep, JUST HOW WE LIKE IT. But the friendships and relationships are just as fierce and deep. I will remember and cherish these memories and re-visit them often. I feel like the luckiest person in the world.”

The G.O.A.T. ‘s instagram post was filled with comments from other athletes and celebrities. Former Defensive Player of the Year and current Cardinals DE J.J. Watt said “Congratulations and enjoy the next chapter brother. Greatest of all time.” The Rock also commented “Congratulations, my brother. What a historic career. Now go enjoy that next chapter with that same passion, zest & mana.”

Following his official retirement announcement on February 1st, Brady didn’t leave out the possibility of returning to the NFL. Despite making it clear retirement is what he wants right now, Brady said on his “Lets Go!” podcast “You know, I’m just going to take things as they come,” Brady said to Jim Gray on the show. “I think that’s the best way to put it and I don’t think anything – you know, you never say never.”

Despite these shocking comments, Brady has plenty of time to decide whether or not he’ll commit to his recent retirement decision. Until then, Tom Brady hangs up his cleats as one of the greatest athletes of all time, and the greatest to ever play the game of football.