Austin Tondo wins first two Ski team races

Austin+Tondo
Jennifer Senior
Austin Tondo

The team started ski races on January 14th, and they are halfway through their season. Austin Tondo in particular has had an impressive season so far. Tondo has won the first two mens races, and was the only racer in NJ to win the first two races of the season. In the last slalom race, he placed in the top five, coming in fourth for our conference, and placing overall seventh out of eighty racers. Despite harsh conditions on all three nights, he still managed to beat racers from top schools like Don Bosco, Ridge, and Delbarton. In the first giant slalom race of this season, he came in second place, with a total time of 53.46, while first place had 53.27.

Tondo has been in the Race of Champion race since his freshman year, and looks like he will be going again this year. Last season he came in ninth out of forty racers at the ROC. He was also named second-team all-state in skiing. Most recently, he was also named Bernards Athlete of the Week. He has been the starting varsity racer from his freshman year, and has been the captain since his junior year.

Even with the tough weather conditions, he and the rest of the boys team show perseverance and determination. In the first race of the season the boys team placed third out of fourteen teams. They came right behind Delbarton and Ridge, by a very small time margin. Tondo, Cristian Di Filippo, and Matt Johnson all placed in the top 20 for this race. The team hopes to qualify for states this year, and will be racing in the state-qualifying race, on February 12, at Mountain Creek.