2021-22 Wrestling mid-season review

Photo via Normandy Studio

Bernards wrestling has had a strong beginning to the season, with a record of 5-2, and placing in first place at the Blue Knight Invitational tournament. Most recently, on January 12th, they had a match against Warren Hills. Although they lost, both Charlie and Sean Hunnewell won their individual matches. On December 24, they beat North Plainfield 54-24, and on December 29th, they beat Colonia High School 45-22. On January 5th, they lost to Delaware Valley 15-52. Pablo Britez, Sean Hunnewell, Charlie Hunnewell, and Tyler Austin all won their individual matches. 

The team has four seniors; Sean Hunnewell, Sam Weiss, Brady Walsh, and Tyler Austin, who are all returning members. The team mostly consists of underclassmen this year, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem for the team. Senior Captain Hunnewell shared, “I’m really excited for the rest of the season; the guys are going to pull off some pretty big wins coming up and come the end of February we’ll be ready to make some runs in the individual and team tournaments.” The team is on a winning streak winning the last three matches against Mountain Lakes, Johnson, and Union High School. They won 60-6 against Union with 10 out of our 11 wrestlers winning their matches.  

They are going against Vorhees on January 19th at BHS for our senior night. Their next match is away against Manville High School on January 21st. Over the last few years they have been close matches, like last year Bernards beat Manville 37-30 on April 1, 2021. 

They are also scheduled to go against Ridge High School. Last year because of COVID, the match took place outside for the first time, because the season was pushed back. With many strong returning members of the team, the team looks like they will have a successful season, and hopefully make it far in upcoming tournaments.