STARR program opens school store ahead of Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, the STARR program has been working extremely hard to open the school store to the student body and faculty. It is a Bernards High School tradition to celebrate the holidays by going to the store and purchasing some of its delicious food which is sold according to the time of year. Particularly around the winter holidays, the students at Bernards get especially excited to leave their classes and eat some of the STARR students’ phenomenal homemade snacks. 

The school store never fails to please the students, however, this year is particularly significant because the STARR program focused on sustainability. This was to help save money and the environment. 

Mrs. Hart discussed that they are now using “Black River Roasters as their new coffee vendor because the company is committed to providing sustainable coffee and is a local coffee shop.” In addition to this, they are also using the Cricut machine to create their own apparel instead of relying on the fast fashion industry. Mrs. Hart says “It’s important for us to promote sustainability to our school community in order to be responsible global citizens.”

This year, the Thanksgiving Sale opened throughout periods 1,7, 8, and 5 on both Tuesday and Wednesday right before school closes for Thanksgiving break. Although it was only open for two school days, the STARR students have been organizing and preparing for days and their hard work has paid off. There were a variety of foods that were prepared and sold such as mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, chocolate turkeys, cinnamon buns, coffee, along with the regular merchandise. With such affordable prices, it is always impossible to resist going down to the store and buying something. 

The STARR students discussed the significant amount of effort that goes into preparing for the opening day of the store. In order to make the chocolate turkeys, the STARRs melted the chocolate into turkey shaped molds. Stephanie Sadovnik claimed that “while it was hard work, it was worth it because it looks very cute and they sold out quickly.” She also mentioned that she and Abby were “very busy running the coffee station as it was very popular.” 

All of the hard work and effort put into the store was worth it as Sydney Incarnato says “The store was very organized and clean. It was a great presentation of all the hard work that went into it.” She also mentioned that she purchased a cinnamon roll for her friend, which she loved. As the school store wraps up for Thanksgiving, the student body and faculty begin to get excited for when it opens back up for the December holidays.