2021-22 Wrestling Season Preview

Photo Credit to Pat Hunnewell
Senior Tyler Austin shooting a shot on an opponent

The high school has had a very strong string of winning seasons in the past few years, and, with the winter sports season right around the corner, many students and athletes alike are looking forward to the wrestling season. 

Reminiscing on their strong season last year, as the team battled Covid restrictions, injuries, and quarantines, and still came out with a 5-1 record. The year prior, in an uninterrupted 2019-2020 season, the team had been dominant and came out with a 11-5 record. 

This year, however, the team will be returning veteran athletes for this upcoming season, including seniors Tyler Austin, Sean Hunnewell, and Brady Walsh, as well as juniors Pablo Britez and Alex Fragassi. Underclassmen include sophomores Charlie Hunnewell, Jake Caldwell, and David Brothers. The team suffered some strain with sophomore talent Nick Villani’s inability to wrestle after medical issues. 

Senior and veteran wrestler Sean Hunnewell remarks optimistically about the upcoming season, “I think we’re going to have a really great team. Our middle weights are all horses and our upper weights are all veterans,” continues Hunnewell, showing love for his teammates, “[We’re] just looking for a few key guys to fill in those lower spots and it’ll be great.”

As coach Brothers searches for another consecutive winning season, senior captain Tyler Austin remarks on his expectations, “I think everyone needs to push themselves like never before. I expect a winning season and state tournament placements from this team. I think we have the guys to do it.” 

With expectations high and the season right around the corner, students and athletes alike are anxious for the winter season to start and to get into wrestling. The feeling of the dark gym with the single light directly over the mat and a packed crowd are unique for both athletes and student spectators.