NBA players continue the rise of player empowerment

In a covid season in which the NBA has made constant adjustments around the health and safety of the players, the league has continued to see a rise in player empowerment. As players have felt the pressure of regarding the personas of team owners, they begin to feel their only comfort is the millions of dollars they make.

As league executives and the NBPA continue to use their platforms to rise against racial injustice, there has also been a rise in effort towards players gaining common power. Although majority owners of NBA franchises are in a rare position based on wealth, this has only stretched out the struggle NBA players feel they face.

Regarding the basics of where the power lays in the NBA, commissioner Adam Silver announced the change of the term “owner” to “team governor.” Although players may see a cutback in power regarding team owners, it is a continuous struggle to find common ground with these billionaires.

So how have players recently changed the dynamics of player empowerment? What are they doing besides changing the terminology of a word to gain the respect they deserve.

As periods such as Free Agency and the Buyout Market have become major headlines and events of the NBA, players are continuing to find effective ways to dispatch the owners.

NBA Players have made themselves clear and have hit the owners where it hurts the most: their pockets. If a franchise feels they could lose their star player to a big market team in free agency, the player will simply demand more money. What’s worse than a small market team losing out on big time free agents? Losing a player of their very own that they drafted and welcomed into the league.

Future Hall of Famer and president of the NBPA Chris Paul has spoken out before regarding larger contracts for players. Whether a rookie contract is expiring or a league veteran is looking for a smaller role, the goal continues to be players getting paid what they think is deserving.

The spike in power for the players has come through the rise in their movements through free agency and trade demands. Just a few months ago we saw All-Star James Harden force his way out of Houston because of team operations and how ownership had handled things. Players want to be treated like the stars they are, and with the recent efforts to push for more abilities, players continue to find their values around the association.

The players’ continuous efforts to fight for power works alongside commissioner Adam Silver, who has continued to back players regarding the conflict between players and ownership. Although relationships have seemed to evolve between the two, they continuously try to belittle one another. Owners understand how badly they need their players, and more importantly their stars to create income for the league. Yes, players do rely on ownership for the millions of dollars they are guaranteed each season, but that money isn’t made without the players, and without those players, purchasing these NBA franchises’ looks like a poor investment on their part.