Pfizer requests authorization for Covid-19 Vaccine

Pfizer Requests Authorization of FDA for COVID-19 Vaccine

On November 20, 2020, Pfizer applied for permission from the FDA for emergency use authorization for their vaccines. If authorized, the 6.4 million vaccines could be distributed by this year, in as early as early December.

Pfizer made headlines recently as results of their vaccine tests came back with a 95% efficiency in preventing the novel COVID-19. Many other companies that are part of this historic race for a vaccine are starting to see promising results in their vaccines, too. Moderna also applied for the FDA’s permission as well on November 30, 2020, only 10 days after Pfizer. In addition to that, in all of the tests for Moderna’s vaccine, it seems that nobody in the test trials got severe symptoms from COVID-19.

If Pfizer’s vaccine is approved and distributed, this vaccine will be of a new “software” of an mRNA, or messenger RNA, a snip of the genetic code used to train the body and immune system to fight off COVID-19. This type of technology has never been approved by the FDA.

However, there are some cons to this vaccine. Vaccines using mRNA technology must be stored at subzero temperatures. Moderna’s new vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 4°F, while Pfizer’s requires a storage temperature of minus 94°F. If stored any warmer or colder than this beyond 1°F, they spoil. They cannot be used and must be thrown away.

These cons would be solved by shipping in huge freezers that are able to keep these vaccines at the needed temperatures.

If distributed, these vaccines will be distributed to essential workers first, but there is still a debate as to who would get the vaccine next – older people who are at a high risk, or younger people who tend to travel a lot and possibly spread the virus to many people. Either way, there seems to be hope for a vaccine, and a potential solution to this pandemic.