Teacher absences and replacements amid pandemic

In a shocking turn of events during an unprecedented situation, there is no shortage of strange occurrences happening at Bernards High School this year as multiple teachers are not present for school.

At the end of a routine Zoom class, Ms. Monroe announced to her first class that she will be leaving Bernards High, and that that day, Monday, September 21, would be her last day here. Her students were taken aback and sorely troubled by this news, especially knowing that she had been teaching here for over a decade. 

Monroe did not go into specific details regarding her departure; however, she did leave her students with a vague phrase regarding her motivations – along the lines of “what is best for [her] family.” Her students were shaken, but they supported Monroe and wished her well.

Ms. Falletta has also been absent from school, forcing other math teachers to cover her classes. “All of the math teachers have six ‘on-periods’ rather than other teachers’ five,” a member of the staff explained. 

UPDATE 10/6:

In Mrs. Monroe’s absence, a new face can be seen in her classroom and throughout the building. Dr. Vogel, a twice-retired teacher has come to the rescue of Monroe’s classes, courses including English 11 Honors, AP Language, and AP Literature. 

He boasts 45 years of high school teaching experience as well as a number of books on AP Lang as a course – one recently published last year.

When asked for a comment, Vogel stated, “I had decided to retire from teaching (44 years is a lot of student essays!) and to focus more on my own writing and pleasure reading.” Understandably, some time alone after teaching for so long would feel rejuvenating. 

Vogel goes on to explain that he wanted to stay connected to the AP curriculum. He says, “I wanted to work part-time preferably and to maintain my connection with Advanced Placement since I am an AP author and consultant. I had never taught in NJ and when I saw that Bernards HS had an AP Lit and AP Lang vacancy, I thought I’d see where it led. Well, it led to my replacing a teacher who resigned from BHS and to my four-hour daily commute. But, based on my positive first impressions of the school and my students, it was a good decision.”