Field hockey doubles down with team power

The Bernards Field Hockey team has been off to a raucous start, beginning their season with five wins and one loss in inter-conference play. Within the Skyland Conference, Bernards has two wins and no losses.

In their first game against Ridge, Meghen and Lily Hengerer, freshmen twins, scored twice to lead the Mountaineers to a 4-0 win.  Two days later in a 6-0 win against Franklin, Meghan Hengerer added another two goals while Lily Simon added two goals and Bianca Pineda and Lily Hengerer had a goal each.

In a game against South Hunterdon, Bernards was able to maintain their winning ways, gaining a 3-0 victory. Harley Rosenzweig scored less than five minutes in and Lily Simon added two goals en route to the shutout. In their next game against Somerville, Meghen and Lily Hengerer each scored twice while Lily Simon added another goal in a 5-0 win. In a 3-0 win against West Morris, Harley Rosenzweig scored a goal and added two assists. Lily Hengerer and Sarah Iaione each added a goal. As of September 25, Bernards is ranked fourth in NJ.com’s Top Ten in the Skyland Conference.

Over this stretch of games, the Mountaineers have outscored their opponents 21-0 while goaltender Missy Connolly has not allowed a single goal. Both Hengerer twins have scored six goals each while Lily Simon has added five goals of her own. During this period, Missy Connolly managed to get a shutout in all five of these games, while doing exceptionally well over the course of the season.  “She has held our opponents to four goals while we have scored 29”, Coach Falzarano

In the coming weeks, Bernards has games against Chatham, Mount Saint Mary, North Plainfield, Franklin, and Somerville. Coach Falzarano believes that defense will be the key to winning down the stretch.

“I would love to focus on our defense”, Coach Falzarano said: “ Bridget and Abby Cawley, McKinney Tropea, and Sarah Iaione have done an amazing job”  

Coach also mentioned how much teamwork has contributed to their success this season. “They work so well as a unit and communicate well with each other.  They are not afraid to take on a girl 1 on 1 and use their skills with confidence”

They hope to continue their winning streak as the season progresses, and get to that ending goal of a state championship.