2017 boys tennis preview

Swinging into the 2017 tennis season, the boys tennis team looks to build on their record from last year. Returning five of seven varsity players, the team is in good shape for the season. Although the lineup is not finalized yet, sophomore Jacob Sugarmann, Senior RJ Goldberg, and Senior Abhishek Chaudhary are going to lead the team at the singles positions this year.

Varsity Coach Ms. McMillan suffered an injury in the offseason, and Ms. Clark took over as varsity coach. The captains for the team are both seniors, Abhishek Chaudhury and RJ Goldberg. Chaudhury said, “we are excited and confident heading into the season.” Although there has a coaching change, the Bernards tennis team is focused, disciplined, and willing to adhere to coach Clark’s style and tennis philosophy.“

Chaudhury also said, regarding the season, “with the leadership of our returning players and seniors, we are ready for the season opener against Voorhees.” Last year, Bernards ended the season on a second round state tournament loss to Voorhees. Now, the Bernards team looks to make it further into the state tournament this year.

Slated for a rematch, Bernards is playing its season opener against Voorhees on Monday, April 3rd at home. Voorhees lost its first singles, Danny Shea, and three of the four doubles players. Voorhees returns Senior Colin Greenman at second singles, Junior Ethan Cooley at third singles, and Senior Bobby Olsen at second doubles. Bernards looks to get crucial wins in the doubles and singles positions to win the match this year. All team matches usually start at 4:00, with exceptions for the county tournament. Captain and senior RJ Goldberg said, “After our loss against Voorhees in the state tournament last year, getting a win would be huge.”

After the season opener, Bernards is playing North Hunterdon on April 4th. Last year, Bernards had an upset win against North Hunterdon winning 3-2 at the end of the season. This year, with first singles from North Hunterdon Jeffery Crane leading the helm, North Hunterdon and Bernards will have an interesting bout. RJ Goldberg said, “I would like to beat them.” On April 6th, Bernards plays Franklin, one of two times the team will face during the season. Bernards won both bouts against Franklin last year. After, Bernard’s is playing Warren Hills on April 12th. Bernards went one and one against Warren Hills last year, the team is looking to beat Warren Hills both times this year.