Cross Country off to a speedy start

Cross Country off to a speedy start

Coming into the 2016 season, the Bernards cross country team had high expectations. The team just came off of a 2015 season which finished third in the county and as one of the top programs in the state. The team’s impressive history lead NJ.com to rank Bernards boys cross country the tenth best dynasty in all of New Jersey High School sports.

The season started off with a bang as the boys Varsity team took first place in their first meet of the season at the Brookdale Invitational on September 10. At Brookdale, the team had an impressive four of seven runners finish in the top fifteen of the race. The Mountaineers were lead by junior Stuart Gruters who came in third overall, finishing in 16:51. Stuart, who is the younger brother of one of the fastest runners in BHS cross country history, Richard Gruters, is looking to follow in his brother’s footsteps this season. In his last race vs Rumson High Stuart took home first place overall, establishing himself as one of the state’s top runners.

In the second meet of the season, team captain Connor Roehr rejoined the team after missing the first meet due to ACT testing. Roehr did not disappoint. In this non-scoring race vs Pingry in which Bernards was without five of its seven varsity runners, Roehr put up a solid performance, coming in second overall, helping the Mountaineers hold their own against a strong Pingry team. Connor continued his great season finishing second and third overall in his next two meets.

The girls team has had an impressive 2016 as well. Lead by seniors Ava Cummings and Alyssa Frausto, on September 17th, the girls team had nine runners receive medals by finishing in the top 35 in their classes. Senior Captain Ava Cummings stated, “I’m really happy with how our season is shaping up. We have a lot of young people on the team, but I think we’re looking strong.”

For the Mountaineers, they look to win the upcoming shore coaches invitational on Saturday, October first in Holmdel and the division and county championship meets shortly after the meet. Eventually, Bernards looks to finish as one of the top teams in group two which would advance them to the NJ meet of champions. Doing so would cement the team as one of the many elite BHS cross country squads.

Coach David Szostak said, “I am looking for our boys and girls cross country teams to continue to improve all the way through the end of the season. I hope both teams can contend for and possibly win our division championship on October 5th, perform well in our County and Conference meets, and qualify for states and possibly the Meet of Champions in November. Most importantly, I want our teams to have fun, work hard and get better.”

2016 is looking great for all of the Cross Country teams at Bernards, and a special season is certainly in the works.