Softball looks to build on strong 2015 campaign

Senior Emily Dean prepares to field the ball
Normandy Studio

Bernards Softball started off their season playing Voorhees on April 5th. The teams in Bernards conference are Somerville, Delaware Valley, Pingry, Vorhees, and Belvidere.

Last year, Bernards record was 10-0 with their overall record being 18-6. This year, they have to face much harder teams such as, Bridgewater, Gill St. Bernards, Watchung Hills, and Ridge.

So far Bernards has played three games, two in which they’ve won, and one loss. Bernards lost to Voorhees in their first game, won against Gill 8-4, and lost to Belvidere 10-9.

In the Voorhees game, junior Caroline Baratta was at bat three times, had three runs, and three hits, with one homerun to put Bernards on top.

Although Bernards play many of the same teams as they did last year, they also play teams that they are not familiar with such as, Morristown, Metuchen, Immaculata, Verona, and Butler. Bernards has a similar goal in mind as they had last year. Sophomore Amanda Paris said, “My goal this season is to have a team that I can trust to have my back on and off the field because that’s a huge part of the game.

We all get along so well and it makes achieving that goal so much easier.” The team stats so far is Sammi Re in the lead with 13 AB’s, with Emma Bowerbank and Baratta with 12. Caroline Baratta is in the lead with seven runs, followed by Emma with four, and Sammi with three.

Sophomore Cassidy Reyda positively said, “I do think we’ve improved as a team with the freshmen because we happen to all work well together. We also added two other coaches that help with pitching and catching and I think that helped so much because we can all work on what we need to do.”

All four captains, seniors Emily Dean and Julianne Paris, and juniors Caroline Baratta and Sammi Re, are all hoping to lead the team to victory to win sectionals and even states, towards the end of the season.

Bernards next game was on April 12 against Somerville, but unfortunately, the game was postponed due to weather. At the time, there was a big rain storm Somerset County, cancelling all baseball & softball practices.

This Saturday, April 16, Bernards Softball had a double header for Autism Awareness day.

Their first game was against Pingry at 10 am and their second game was at 2pm against Immaculata. Bernards lost the first game against Pingry 9-2, but won against Immaculata 5-0. The day was a success, raising lots of money for a good cause.