Baxter, van Dijk lead Swim

team picture before the season commenced

As the swim season begins to fall into its last days, the 28th season for the Bernards High school swim team is ending with an overall successful season. The team, lead by Coach Ed Tsuzuki, started the season off in mid November and officially closes the season in late February.

The season started off on a good foot, with both the Bernards boys and girls opening the season with wins over Belvidere on December 1st. They continued the streak after competing in the annual Cougar Relay meet at Montgomery High School with winning six of the 12 events, setting four new school records along with it. The team also continued their strong start in the season with wins over Rutgers Prep on December 9th, Bernards girls scoring 121-31, and the boys scoring 111-54.

As the season continued, the swim team continued to excel, with solid wins over North Hunterdon, Caldwell, and Vorhees. The North Hunterdon meet had kicked off well, with the boys having the 5th fastest time in Bernards history in the medley relay. Despite the girls team’s loss at the North Hunterdon meet, the boys team’s won with 109-60. The Caldwell meet allowed the Bernards boys’ team to improve their record with a 115-52 victory. The swim team’s most impressive win was at the Vorhees meet. The girls improved their record, pulling a 126-43 win. The boys also continued to upkeep their streak with a 125-41 win over Vorhees.

In the final stages of the season, the swim team is continuing to prove their excellence with the girls’ finishing The Raritan Division in 9th place, out of the 19 teams participating. Overall, this current swim season has shown that Bernards swim team is capable of not only achieving, but also rising above their goals.