Ice hockey drops the puck on 2015-16 season

Senior Connor ONeill enters the offensive zone
LifeTouch
Senior Connor O’Neill enters the offensive zone

Bernards’ ice hockey team dropped the puck on their 2015-16 season on December 3 with a 6-2 loss against Manalapan High School. Seniors Connor O’Neill and Connor Morris are two important forwards for the team, while sophomores Ryan McGriskin, Curtis’ younger brother, and Peter Yarosh are also important members of the team.

In the 6-2 loss to Manalapan, Ryan McGriskin recorded an assist on Somerville’s Trevor Clemson’s first period goal. Through the team’s first five games, O’Neill recorded one goal, and McGriskin added an assist in the loss to Ridge. One reason the team has struggled thus far is due to their lack of offensive production.

The team scored just seven goals in their first five games, allowing 29 in the same period of time. So far, Bernards’ record is 0-5, losing matchups with Bridgewater-Raritan and Ridge by scores of 7-1, Montgomery by a score of 6-2, and Hunterdon Central by a score of 3-1.

“We’re struggling as a team because we’re short on guys,” O’Neill said. “We also have some players playing important roles that typically don’t play as big of a role as they are. With that being said, we need to generate more offense and take more shots. Generating offense is a really important part of any sport so we need to start doing that.”

“A lack of depth has been a reason for our slow start,” senior Curtis McGriskin, who will miss the season due to a knee injury, said. “We also have some players playing important roles that typically don’t play as big of a role as they are. With that being said, we need to generate more offense and take more shots. Generating offense is a really important part in any sport so we need to start doing that.

Although the team has struggled out of the gates, McGriskin praised the team for the high compete level they show during each game. ”We definitely have a lot of heart and we play hard,” McGriskin said. “Once we find an end product to our hard work I think we’ll be fine.”

“We haven’t given up in any of our games thus far this season,” O’Neill said. “Usually the third period is the best period for us and we score most of our goals during that time.”

The team put these thoughts to work in a dominating 9-2 win over Colonia on December 15. O’Neill scored a goal and added two assists, and McGriskin scored two goals and two assists. Senior Connor Morris also scored a goal in the win.

Bernards has upcoming games against South Brunswick, Westfield and West Windsor. The South Brunswick and Westfield games take place on back-to-back nights on the 26th and 27th of December. After a long winter break, Westfield plays against them on January 6.