Ms. Clark and the sophomore class host class toy drive

Throughout the holiday season, many different companies, sports teams and public entities host Toy Drives in order to provide holiday gifts for those in need. Bernards High School is no exception this season, as Ms. Clark and the sophomore class hosted a Toy Drive in Ms. Clark’s classroom. The drive started on December 1 and ended on December 11. Students received one hour of community service for each toy that they donated.

“I usually teach a majority of sophomores and thought it would be enjoyable to work with students outside of curriculum and content,” Ms. Clark said. “I was thrilled to start this year as Sophomore Class Advisor years ago when I was the Community Service Coordinator, and I worked with students to support Deirdre’s House during the holiday season. So, I was excited to see the sophomores were continuing this philanthropic tradition. I truly believe in the spirit of giving.”

This toy drive is not the first one to occur at Bernards High School or in the state of New Jersey. In years past, Mrs. Snyder hosted a similar event in her classroom where students would bring in new, unwrapped gifts as donations. Throughout New Jersey, several toy drives have taken place, including the 19th annual Mayor’s Toy Drive in Jersey City, which took place on December 7.

Additionally, the New Jersey Devils hosted a Toy Drive before their December 11 matchup against the Detroit Red Wings at the Prudential Center in conjunction with the Toys for Tots foundation and the Greater Newark Holiday fund. Fans who brought two new, unwrapped toys received a voucher for free tickets to a future Devils home game. The team has held this annual toy drive since they moved into the Prudential Center in 2007. The Toys for Tots foundation collects millions of toys each year, making many children enjoy the holiday season when they may not have been able to otherwise.

In Bernardsville, the Bernards Inn accepted toy donations from November 26 to December 13. The toys were collected and distributed to the American Recreational Military Services through their annual “Project Little Soldier” program for children who have a parent that is serving in the United States’ military during the holiday season.

Additionally, the 37th annual Weichert Toy Drive took place from November 20 through December 11. The toys were collected and given to a variety of charities that focus on assisting children who are physically disabled or financially disadvantaged. Donations were accepted at all of Weichert’s locations throughout New Jersey, including their branch in Bernards Township. Weichert has run this toy drive since 1978 throughout the United States.