Boys’ Soccer finds inspiration from injured GK Dylan Kahn

LifeTouch
The 2014-15 Boys’ Soccer team, featuring Dylan Kahn (#1, center)

The 2015 season was an extremely strong one for the boys’ soccer team. They finished with a record of 13-4-3 and made a run all the way to their sectional semifinal. The team found inspiration through one person who was the team’s starting goalkeeper since his freshman year. Senior Dylan Kahn had to step away from the game because he suffered three concussions in a year playing for his club soccer team. Kahn had to undergo brain surgery on October 26 because his concussion-like symptoms never went away.

One specific player that was inspired by Kahn is senior captain Dan Schindler, who was a teammate of Dylan’s since their freshman year. “[Dylan] inspired us to play our best every game,” he said. “You never know if the game you’re playing in is the last one.”

“Dylan’s absence inspired us in every possible way,” senior Jonathan Santana, who went to Bedminster Middle School with Kahn in addition to being his teammate for three years, said. “We played for Dylan every game.”

Before each game, the team would say a “1, 2, 3, Dylan” chant to keep their former teammate in their hearts and minds. “We would usually make sure to remember why we say his name,” Schindler said. “We made sure to play for the boy who couldn’t be there.”

Kahn was in attendance for the team’s sectional tournament match against Matawan at Olcott Field. The team won that match in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw through full time and two overtime periods. Junior Dan Paez scored the goal for Bernards in regular time, and sophomore Andres Lezme made the only save for Bernards in the penalty shootout. After Lezme’s save, junior Nick Neptune converted Bernards’ 5th and final penalty to seal the victory. 

“I was shocked to see [Dylan] but it definitely encouraged me to play even harder and to do my best to come out on top,” Schindler said. “I was happy to see him and it just showed how tough of a person he is.”

Although the injury has inspired the team a lot, it has also given them a new perspective on head injuries in general. “[Dylan’s injury] really showed how bad head injuries can be,” Schindler said, “but things like that unfortunately happen sometimes.”