Girls Soccer at Red Bull

Bernards+Girls+Soccer+getting+ready+before+the+Ridge+game+
Ari Rosen
Bernards Girls Soccer getting ready before the Ridge game

The girl’s soccer Bernards v. Ridge game at Red Bull Stadium has been a highly anticipated event ever since it was announced last June. As the date neared closer, the team’s energy only increased, with a mix of nerves, excitement, and determination filling the air. This game would present opportunities that very few other teams in the country could say they had. The team even enjoyed a game at Red Bull Stadium in August, seeing soccer legend Lionel Messi in the flesh. No matter what the result would be, the very notion of playing in a professional stadium against a town rival was incredible in and of itself.

To ease anxieties and bring motivation to one another, captain Andee Costabile ‘25 proposed the idea to write the person with the next highest number to yours a letter. This was to be opened in the locker room before the game, and ultimately proved to be a great way to raise confidence and further bring the team together. The energy in the locker room could only be described as electric, with the game now being closer than ever. 

Walking out of the room and onto the field, the team was able to see exactly how big the stadium was. After warmups, the national anthem, and lots of hype from the student section– who arrived from the first ever BHS fan bus– they were ready. “Walking onto the field, I was overwhelmed but excited to be alongside my teammates in such a big stadium with lots of support,” says captain Mckenah Schilp ‘24. 

The game started off incredibly strong, with captain Payton Zaun ‘25 scoring a beautiful bottom corner goal seven minutes in. Ridge shortly followed suit, scoring a goal to tie the game only 8 minutes later. About 36 minutes in, they scored another goal and the score stuck until the end of the game. 

Despite an unfortunate loss, the team fought hard and kept morale high the entire game. Not once did a player give up or slow down. When asked how he thinks this game will affect the season, Varsity Coach Boudreau stated that he “feel[s] confident this game will make us stronger as a program.” This was seen almost immediately after the game ended, as the players complimented each other and discussed the highlights of the game. The upbeat, optimistic attitude of the Bernards high school girl’s soccer team is an essential part of their success and their chemistry on the field. 

Currently, they are undefeated with a 6-0 record in the Valley division. As the season progresses, the girls will continue to hold this game in the back of their mind, and use it as motivation. Beyond this season, the Red Bull game will remain an unforgettable experience, not just for the team but for Bernards High School as a whole.