Gypsy Rose gets released from prison

Ava Demarco
A student views Gypsy Rose’s Instagram announcement of her release.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard has been released from prison after getting sentenced to ten years for pleading guilty to murder of the second degree. According to Deseret News, “Gypsy Rose Blanchard spent most of her life being forced by her mother to pretend she was suffering from chronic illness. [Her mother] Dee Dee tricked doctors, family and friends into believing Gypsy was chronically ill — suffering from leukemia, asthma, muscular dystrophy, vision and hearing impairments, seizure, and other chronic conditions, per ABC News.”
As expected, Gypsy has received lots of feedback upon her release, both good and bad, however, the media has been fascinated in not only her story, but what she has been up to now she is not behind bars. Fans are wondering how she will live her life now that she has freedom, where she will end up, what she will do, etcetera. Why are fans so fascinated by her story specifically?
While her story is rather unique and not something you hear in the news every day, people are commenting constantly on Gypsy’s social media posts, craving more information about what she is up to now. The Tab says “Dannielle Haig is a psychologist who specializes in psychopaths and other maladaptive personalities and she has explained why the world is so obsessed with Gypsy Rose Blanchard now she’s left prison. [she] sa[ys] that the fascination with Gypsy Rose comes from ‘the bizarre and tragic nature of her story, which involved severe child abuse, deception and murder’. The public’s interest in her story was sparked through all the documentaries and TV shows about her.” Hearing about a story that is almost too bizarre to believe fascinates listeners because of the rare nature, and how people can understand clarity of a case that has been so blurred for some time.
Some supportive feedback Gypsy has been getting helps her understanding in how far she has come in her journey. Student Emma Swope ‘24 says “when [she] thinks of Gypsy Rose, [she] feels bad because of the abuse she suffered as a young child and [she is] happy that she is free and thriving now. Living with her husband in Louisiana, Gypsy is thriving and doing well, celebrating her release from prison.”
Students and fans everywhere are looking forward to seeing what she continues to do in her journey.