Sephora’s impact on the future of young children

Mark Licht
An example of a Sephora Store in New Jersey

A common topic that has been recently trending is the discussion of whether kids are growing up too quickly. Social Media has been often showing kids with products that are shocking to those who grew up in different time periods. iPads, iPhones, makeup, skin care, and expensive clothing have all been up for debate on why children should have access to items not even most adults have, especially if it will be outgrown, ruined, or end up hurting them in any way. 

As time goes on, the once teenage and adult-filled makeup store, Sephora, is now being taken over by imperious kids. Sephora has recently been subject to young kids running around, making the tester products as well as displays unusable, leaving trash around, rude attitudes, and making employees’ jobs more difficult than necessary. Raving about specific skincare or makeup on TikTok has reached a new audience, the eight to ten-year-olds that are causing plenty of products to be sold out. The store has become a place comparable to a playground. Social Media users have taken to social media to express their experiences and concerns when it comes to young children in adult/teenager-intended stores.  

Sabiyah Ayube 27’ said, “The other day I was in Sephora and saw a girl who can’t be older than seven shopping around with her own basket. I was shocked when I saw her walk over to luxury makeup brands like Dior and Chanel and began to wonder how younger kids will be in the future when they start to wear makeup or destroy their skin with harsh skincare. Kids are growing up too fast and it’s honestly upsetting. I know that I am fifteen, which is young, however, seeing kids below the age of ten buying the same products my mom and I use is appalling. I started to use stuff once I began breaking out but it was never retinoids that we see them raving about now.” 

The newest conversation that has been frequently brought up is whether or not Sephora should have an age limit added. Some have been making jokes that everyone should have an ID to get in. Other stores have already implemented it to prevent any ruination. Showcase, a store that sells trending items, has a sign that mentions kids need to be accompanied by an adult in order to enter. 

Madison Perez 27’ said “I think that Sephora should add an age restriction, or make a rule that every child under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult. I also think that brands that make products for people with actual skin problems should stop marketing to children, for example, Drunk Elephant and Sol de Janeiro.”

Children may be the ones overwhelming stores and employees with their irresponsible behavior but the final responsibility lies in the hands of parents. The youth do not have the ability to buy whatever they want, the money and transportation aspect derives from the adults.