Coach Johnson takes Varsity job with big expectations

Coach+Johnson+waiting+around+to+make+a+call+during+a+basketball+practice+
Ari Rosen
Coach Johnson waiting around to make a call during a basketball practice

For the second time in 3 years, the boy’s basketball team has a new coach. Head coach Alec Johnson is ready to accept the coaching job and propel this program to where it should be. Coach Jaren Sina had a 19-30 record as the coach for the past two seasons. Before accepting the head coaching position, 

Coach Johnson was the JV coach for two seasons and a guidance counselor here last year at Bernards. There is a big difference between coaching JV and Varsity, but Coach Johnson is ready. He says “Undertaking something important brings additional responsibility and pressure, but in a good way. I feel a significant weight to create something exceptional for the current players and the future of BHS. It’s my duty to place them in situations where they can succeed, win games, and most importantly, enjoy themselves. I am prepared to embrace this pressure and deliver precisely that.” 

Coach Johnson’s first two years as a JV coach were a major success, having no more than 6 losses in total and going 2-1 when he coached varsity including a big upset in the county tournament. With most of his players returning he feels that he has “The advantage of familiarity with every player’s skill set and mentality from previous coaching experiences is invaluable. This allows us to swiftly dive into learning and competing without the need to figure out individual positions.” This isn’t the only advantage that comes out of having already coached in previous years. He also says “Being able to relate to each player on a personal level, knowing their family life, and even how they learn in school are all valuable things to know as a coach and luckily I have that already with these players.” Coach Johnson looks to use these key points to his advantage.

With the last few seasons not going as planned, Coach Johnson looks to have success in his first season and is ready for the challenge. He says “I hold myself to high standards as a coach this season, and I believe the players hold similarly high expectations for their performance. With our collective experience gained over the years, it’s time to combine our efforts to achieve positive outcomes. While I cannot predict our win/loss record, I believe that if we consistently give our maximum effort and work cohesively as a team, we’ll maximize our chances for success.” 

Led by returners such as Connor Laverty and Gabe Morales, the boys basketball team looks to propel Coach Johnson’s first year into a successful season.

So far Johnson has gotten the roster set after a few days of tryouts. He looks to prepare his team for the season and home opener against Manville on December 14th. The school is excited to see what Johnson will bring to the varsity team.