Girls sports looking to make playoff push in the second half of the season

Ari Rosen
Sophomore Shannon Dill dribbling and looking to pass during a game against Vorhees.

As fall sports come to a close, playoffs are around the corner. Currently, Girls’ soccer is (10-2) and ready for playoffs, girls soccer is having an incredible season as they have memorable moments as the first game was played in the Red Bull stadium against our rival school. Despite the unfortunate loss the team decided to move on to the next and work on their mistakes. While doing so, they move through the season while having an 11-3 record and beating their rival Ridge. Junior captain Andee Costible had this to say about playoffs, “Our team has been through so many ups and downs thus far that made us stronger. We are at a really good point in the season and I can’t wait to take this momentum into the state playoffs”. While only three games left in the season they are more than eager to start dominating in playoffs. Girls field hockey started their season with a three-game win streak but an unfortunate loss to Voorhees cut them short. They move through the season with wins and losses led by players like captain Kendall Schmerler Who gave her opinion on the season, “We have been working really hard in practices and games this week to try to qualify for the upcoming state tournament. Some things that we are trying to focus on are capitalizing on offensive plays and connecting passes, as well as creating forced turnovers in the mid-field. We started off the season strong with three wins in a row and then played some tougher opponents later on, but have had team successes even in games that we lost. We recently beat Montgomery and have a big game against Somerville this weekend”. As Bernard’s field hockey makes its way through the season they hope to fix their mistakes and be focused for playoffs.  As Bernardsville cross country finishes their way through the season with some memorable moments. Junior Sarah Lewis gave her a recap of the season “The season for me so far has been really good and the team is super supportive and we have had a really good season and were division champs last meet. To prepare for the upcoming meets we just continue training and have pasta parties before the big meets.”The girls finished the Skyland championship as conference champs led by Junior Lucinda Putnam who was 2nd in the division. Also, freshman Fiona Dougherty and Junior Alya Johnson were 5th and 7th in the division, with Juniors Meredith Mitchell and Spencer Sorge who were 26th and 11th to help clinch the division crown. After, they proceeded to the Skyland conference championships as girls won first in the division. Junior Meredith Mitchell who was 5th runner helped clinch the title had this to say about the meet, “It was a great meet because we won the division for the first time since 2014. Phillipsburg is one of the hardest courses we run so it was a super big accomplishment for our team.” As they move on through the season, they keep on making a name for themselves. 

View Comments (1)