BHS’ new Olcott Turf

Rose Costello
New and updated Bernards High School turf on the Olcott Field.

During the summer of 2023, BHS installed a new turf on the Olcott field, featuring red endzones and the iconic “B” logo in the center of the field. The new turf took over two months to lay down, purposefully done in the offseason. The old turf was aged and less durable than its new replacement.

Athletes from various sports are excited to have a new turf field— specifically BHS’ senior class as it’s their last time playing for the school. Logan Marks shared, “I prefer the new turf because it has more cushion then the old one and it has a [lot of] cool new decorations.”

The field now is geared more towards BHS school spirit for the teams that play on it. Previously, apart from a large “B” in the center of the field, there were no logos or branding on the turf. Now the turf has both “Bernards” and “Mountaineers” written across the two endzones. The “B” at midfield shows an updated logo, which displays a mountain.

McKenah Schilp feels that “the old turf was super hard to play on and gave everyone shin splints”, but the new one is “so clean and represents Bernards very well.” On this, turf fields have been controversial as people in the sports world feel the artificial field is at fault for non-contact injuries. The turf creates more traction, along with cleats, causing knee and achilles injuries. There is less give in turf, which adds more pressure on a player’s ACL. Knees can bend in awkward positions because of this. With new science and a new field, the new turf can hopefully limit these injuries and provide a safer environment for the athletes.

Some big games will be played this fall, which both students and athletes throughout the school are excited about. Marks and the football team were “looking forward to Del Val [on September 22]”. This is a rivalry game and the first time the football team hosted Delaware Valley on their new turf. The team beat Del Val by a score of 30-0.

The girls soccer team is looking forward to playing Phillipsburg for senior night as it will be a special day for the girls, nonetheless, but more so because of the new turf. Schilp is also excited for “the SCIAA 1st round if [the team] host[s] it”.

The new addition of the turf is exciting for all students at the school, especially those who play outdoor sports. As BHS sports programs continue to grow throughout the years, the new field will help limit injuries and create a more intense and exciting atmosphere during games.