Annual Record Store Day celebration returns

Ava Highland
Scotti’s Record Shop in Summit, New Jersey, taking part in Record Store Day

On April 22, 2023, music fans and record collectors lined up outside of their local record store in hopes to purchase different artists exclusive vinyls.

This year’s Record Store Day releases ranged from Taylor Swift’s “Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions” to Dolly Parton’s “The Monument Singles Collection 1964- 1968.”

The first Record Store Day took place on April 19, 2008, and after 15 years this annual celebration still attracts thousands of eager fans.

According to the official Record Store Day website, the annual event “was conceived in 2007 at a gathering of independent record store owners and employees as a way to celebrate and spread the word about the unique culture surrounding nearly 1400 independently-owned record stores in the US and thousands of similar stores internationally.”

In recent years, the love of buying and playing records has become increasingly more popular. CBS NEWS notes that for “the first time since 1987 that more vinyl records were sold than CDs.” With the amount of record sales surpassing the amount of CD sales last year, record stores saw a huge success on Record Store Day this year.

Over 300 new music releases went on sale, attracting fans across all genres. These releases included records from long-time beloved artists such as Billy Joel, Elton John, and Fleetwood Mac, as well as new up-and-coming artists like Maya Hawke and Stephen Sanchez.

Several other artists who released exclusive vinyls included Pearl Jam, U2, The 1975, Bastille, The Cure, and Duran Duran.

Each store is set up differently. With some using their entire storefront to display Record Store Day vinyls, others may only designate certain areas. Stores including Scotti’s Record Shop in Summit, New Jersey also offered free coffee and pastries to those waiting in line.

Hoping to secure their spot in line and purchase records from their favorite artists, fans began lining up outside their local record store hours before opening. With many arriving during early morning hours, some fans found at the front of their line may have even spent the night in line.

Not only does Record Store Day celebrate independent record stores, but this annual celebration also brings fans together to celebrate their love of music and record collecting.