Girls lacrosse approaching state and county tournaments

Ari Rosen
Sophomore Addison Chisholm preparing for a play against North Hunterdon

With the county and state tournaments coming up, the girls lacrosse team is performing at a high quality and are getting ready to hopefully advance in both tournaments. The girls have a record of 11-2 with losses to Mendham and Bridgewater, both significantly larger schools. After the loss against Bridgewater, captain Lily Thoms shares, “I think that by playing bigger and better schools it will help us prepare for bigger games later in the season. Games against high caliber teams help exploit our weaknesses that we need to work on, and ultimately will make us a better team.” 

With three scheduled regular season games left, the girls look to continue their winning record. In the coming weeks the girls will play North Hunterdon, Somerville, and Ridge. Along with a county game scheduled for May 13th and a states game scheduled for May 25th. Both opponents are unknown, but next week a county meeting will be held where the matchups will be chosen. 

The girls are looking forward to the rest of the season. This being said, entering the second part of the season they also look to make many improvements in their play so they are performing to the best of their ability. Captain Maggie Dolan shares that “After coming off of a tough loss to Bridgewater we realized that we need to make a change to our style of play. We already are a good team fundamentally and have lots of great players, but if everyone shows up everyday and puts the work in we could really have something special.” 

Following the loss to Bridgewater, the girls played Hillsborough on May 11th. At half the girls were up 4-1 and as an end result ended up winning 12-10. 

As a unit, the girls are excited for what the rest of the season may bring. With sophomores Kendall Schmerler and Kayla Davi both excelling with their scoring records from last season and a strong defense led by junior Courtney Davis and junior goalie Shelby Rosen, the team is shaping up nicely to have a positive second half of the season. Ellie Thoms, another key defender, shares that “the team has come a long way from the beginning of the season. Everyone is clearly dedicated and are always ready to outperform opponents. I think this year we have a strong arsenal of players and I am interested to see where it takes us in the near future.” 

The next games the girls play are on May 11th against North Hunterdon and May 18th at Somerville where they will hopefully improve their record to 13-2.