Boys’ Basketball excited and ready to win this season

Ari Rosen
Guard Hayden Bryne setting up the offense in a scrimmage vs Livingston

Although the boys basketball team was 8-14 last year, they are returning some key players for this season, like junior Will Frank who led the team with 272 points and Connor Laverty who also contributed with 173 points. Both were key players last year who are looking to better their stats for this year. They have a strong returning senior class as well, such as Hayden Byrne, Nate Schmerler, Marc Nakashian, Julian Martinez, and Taejin Beckerman who says, “I think that we have improved from last season especially within our team chemistry as this is our Head Coach’s second year coaching us. I really think that we will have a more successful season than last year’s season and make it much further in the county’s and hopefully states.” As said before, the team’s goal is to make it to states and improve on their county run. 

Their first game is against Manville on December 15th, this will be the first time the boys will play Manville because of their change in divisions. Nate Schmerler shares “I’m very excited about our first game. We have a few scrimmages before, so we can see how we’re looking and adjust anything, if necessary. Right now, I think we’re looking pretty solid, and if I could speak for the team, I’d say we’re itching to be able to play again.” As Nate said, the team is ready to get back to playing, and the team has a few goals that they would like to meet. Hayden Byrne shares that  “In the long run, [the team] wants to make the state tournament, and for short term, [they] have a goal of building good chemistry to set [themselves] up for success at the end of the year.” 

All in all, the boys are expected to have a good season this year with their returning starting juniors and their determined seniors.