Monterey Fine Foods brings back discount

Sophia Vascellaro
Monterey Fine Foods in downtown Bernardsville features newly reinstated student discount

As of three weeks ago, Monterey Fine Foods, the popular deli located in downtown Bernardsville brought back student discounts. This discount is active from 2:00 to 4:00 PM for students who show their student ID while checking out. 

Steve Roth, the owner of Monterey Fine Foods, said they “brought back [this] discount as soon as food prices started to return to somewhat normal levels”. 

Monterey Fine Foods offers an assortment of delicious specialty sandwiches, homemade salads, desserts, dinner entrees, and fine catering. The restaurant’s locally sourced, farm fresh ingredients are what makes the difference in the quality, taste, and presentation, which sets them apart from all of the other restaurants in Bernardsville. The menus are custom designed and change daily. The “Farm to Table ” had always been their way of running the restaurant.

Roth shared “when [we] did this [the discount] pre-COVID the students were very appreciative and it was a good way for many students to have a reason to make the trek to us as opposed to walking somewhere downtown.”

Many students are ecstatic that Monterey Fine Foods has finally brought back student discounts. Shannon Tobin ‘26 expressed that, “[her] favorite thing to get there are paninis and it would make it even more special and fun to get a discount using my Bernards High School student ID.”

The student population is unanimously happy about receiving discounts on what can be somewhat pricey orders. Olivia Vascellaro ‘26 stated “I love going to Monterey for lunch, I love all of their sandwiches. So I am glad that they brought back the student discounts so I can get money off when ordering.”

With senior privilege during lunches for 12th grades, a discount especially attracts more students as hoped by Roth. Zach Cohen ‘23 shared “With cheaper prices, the journey down to Monterey is absolutely worth it. The amazing food plus a discount is the best way to spend my lunch.”

The return of BHS student discounts is definitely something to remember when choosing where to purchase your next lunch. It has had tremendous success in the past and has attracted significantly more business.