Columbus day problematic in nature

Portrait of the famed explorer, curtesy of Creative Commons

October 10th had been recognized as Columbus day for decades. In fact, Columbus day has been celebrated since 1920 annually, however, it was not until 1934 that it was truly declared a federal holiday by president Franklin Delano Roosevelt. However, due to more recent events and discoveries, critics are reconsidering whether or not “Columbus day” is a fitting label for the horrors that society has been blind to for years.
The history of Columbus day is constantly shifting- we are learning everyday that the events brought upon by Columbus are not nearly as heroic as we had been manipulated to believe. There have been some primary sources that contain statements Columbus actually wrote himself in his personal journal, “These they exchanged for whatever we chose to give them.” Columbus is referring to how he took advantage of the Native Americans, and overpowered them so that, as a result, he would be the only one benefiting.
Americans have realized that naming a day to celebrate our nation that is supposed to have a respectful foundation for diversity should include all citizens. The name “Columbus Day,” essentially suggests that we should celebrate cruelty, hatred, and inequality which are not qualities that our government should be preaching.
The name that people are considering changing the name of this holiday to is “Indigenous people’s day.” The term “indigenous” includes the natives that originally inhabited America. Columbus was just the man who discovered it for the rest of the world. Columbus, from the start, had bad intentions for America. If anything, Columbus is ultimately the reason that many awful events happened in the early days of America. Slavery and diseases such as measles and mumps came to the Americas because of the Spanish.
So why would we name the day after a man who created havoc in what was a peaceful territory? Since 1977 people have been pushing the government to try and change the name. The only reason Columbus is known as a “hero” is because that is what he is considered to be to the Europeans and Asians of earlier times. However, to the American Indians and Africans he is known as a murderous monster.
Not only is it wrong to Native Americans, but it is also hurtful towards African Americans. This is because after the Natives died due to being abused and sickened by diseases, the Spanish needed somebody to do their labor and take care of their farms. This caused them to initiate a trade route that involved enslaving Africans. Obviously as we know now, slavery lasted hundreds of years and even after thats African Americans were opressed for many other.
This federal holiday is supposed to be a day where everyone can be joyful about the “foundation” of America. Although, its intent fails because of an inaccurate and hurtful name that oppresses American Indians and African Americans.