Girls Soccer off to great start through September

Mr. Cherng
The girls team after winning their game against Manville HS on their senior night

The girls soccer started the season with a record breaking year. The team went undefeated winning the first four games and currently has a record of 8-1. In the Skyland Mountain division they are currently undefeated with a record of 7-0. They opened the season with a home game against Delaware Valley that they won 5-0. At the top of the division, the team has won every game except for the match up against Somerville which they lost 3-1. Bernards has been the only team this year to score against Somerville out of all the games so far this season. 

The team honored the seven seniors: Olivia Guyet, Sydney Incarnato, Jessica Hickman, Lily Thoms, Sydney Osbourne, Summer Schnabolk, and Hadley Black at their senior day on September 24th against Lenape Valley High School. They won the game 3-0, with each goal scored by sophomore Andee Costabile. When asked how she felt about senior day, Lauren Sullivan ‘25, “I thought it was a fun and intense game, and we were all very positive.”

They played Del Val again on September 27th away and won again 2-1. Sophomore Bailey Olson scored both goals with assists from Costabile and Sydney Incanato ‘23. In an interview with center back Alexa Paterno ‘25 she shared, “I think we played well and connected with each other. We worked together which helped us win against a very physical team.”

Not only has the team shown how resilient they are, the starting line up is filled with mostly underclassmen. The varsity team consists of three freshmen, Shannon Dill, Jane Stauffer, and Abbie Dooley. They are joined with Kayla Davi ‘25, Payton Zaun ‘25, Addison Chisholm ‘25, Eva Malleo ‘25, Charlotte Burlingame ‘25, Paterno, Costabile, Olson, and Sullivan. Having such a young team proves that they will only get better each year. 

They played Bound Brook on Thursday September 29th, on Olcott at 4:30pm. They ended the exciting game 6-1 with goals from Costabile, Olson, and Incarnato, with assists from Mckenah Schlip ‘24, Olson, and Incarnato. 

The team is scheduled to play Belvidere on October 4th away. Their toughest matchup is their last regular scheduled game of the season against Rutgers Prep on October 19th which will be another home game.