Girls Field Hockey 2022 mid-way season review

Richard Mariani
Senior Grace Connell running up the field with the ball

The girls Field hockey team has started their 2022 season off with 3 loses, 2 wins, and 1tie, with much improvement being seen from all the girls on the field winning two out of three of there last three games. They have faced many tough teams throughout the opening of their season including Ridge and Chatham, two very aggressive teams they have competed against in the Skyland conference. 

In one of their most recent games against Del Val, they faced not only a tough team but very difficult weather, having to play in a torrential downpour even after a thirty minute delay. It was a very tough game but Bernards was able to stick it out for a 1-0 win, with a goal from Junior, Jane Lewis. “We were still tied in the last quarter of the game and all we needed to do was score”, Jane said, “After I scored, all of my teammates on the field hugged me and were cheering for me, it was such an overwhelming happy moment and I could not stop smiling.”

At the girls most recent game against Mount st. Mary’s, the defensive end was able to hold the opposing team to only one goal with their communication and ability to clear the ball out of the middle of the circle, working together to prevent the ball from rolling into the goal. They were able to tie this tough team 1-1, with a tremendous goal from sophomore Kendall Schmerler, one of their most prominent offensive players on the field. The girls have not beaten or tied this team in a few years, so it was definitely a big accomplishment for the team and a very impressive win. 

One thing the girls field hockey team is very proud of, is not only their accomplishments on the field, but their team relationship off the field. The team has a variety of different age’s on the varsity team, but all athletes get along super well and seem to have a very positive relationship with one another. “The field hockey team is supportive, hardworking, determined and works well together”, junior defenseman Gabby Galantino said, “Everyone is friends on and off the field and makes practices and games so much fun”.

All the members of the team hope to see even more improvement throughout the final weeks of their season and are very excited to continue to grow as players on and off the field with the help of head coach Falzarano and assistant coach O’Connor.  These girls have put a lot of hard work and commitment into their season and are excited for what the future holds.