Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Verdict

Ava Highland
Johnny Depp’s statement posted on Instagram following the release of the verdict.

On May 11, 2022, actor Johnny Depp and his ex-wife, as well as actress, Amber Heard first appeared in court; The trial took place in Fairfax County Courthouse in Virginia. After an emotional and unveiling trial, the jury reached the verdict on Wednesday, June 1, following three days of deliberation.

In 2018 Heard released an op-ed for The Washington Post titled, “I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change.” While Depp was not explicitly mentioned, it was clear that Heard’s claims were in reference to him.

Due to the accusations, Depp lost out on a $22.5 million deal for Pirates Of The Caribbean, and his reputation was tarnished. Depp’s manager, Jack Whigham testified that, “After the op-ed, it was impossible to get him a studio deal.”

Depp claimed to be defamed and sued Heard $50 million for defamation; Heard countersued $100 million. Early on in the trial, Depp testified that he lost “nothing short of everything.”

Over the course of the six week trial, a number of witnesses took to the stand. This included siblings, friends, assistants, therapists, psychologists, managers, security teams and several others close to both Depp and Heard during their relationship.

After the three day deliberation, it was decided that Depp will be awarded $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages. However, the state of Virginia, limits punitive damages to a maximum of $350,000. Heard is to receive $2 million after winning on one count of defamation.

One week after the trial Depp’s lawyers Camille Vasquez and Benjamin Chew appeared on Good Morning America. Chew explained that his client was only interested in “restoring reputation. Vasquez was promoted to partner of her firm after her success in the trial.

Depp is also anticipated to return as his iconic role, Jack Sparrow, while it is rumored that Heard will be removed from the upcoming Aquaman movie, expected to be released in 2023.

The trial instantly took over the media, and after the verdict was reached Depp took to Instagram; In a post from June 1, Depp discussed how not only himself but his children, those closest to him, and his supporters’ lives “were forever changed.”

Depp continued to discuss his experience and express his gratitude for “the colossal support and kindness from around the world,” he also added that, he hopes “[his] quest to have the truth be told will have helped others, men or women, who have found themselves in [his] situation, and that those supporting them never give up.”

Similarly, Heard also took to Instagram to share her thoughts on the outcome, “I believe Johnny’s attorneys succeeded in getting the jury to overlook the key issue of Freedom of Speech.”

Heard additionally discussed, “I’m sad I lost this case. But I am sadder still that I seem to have lost a right I thought I had as an American – to speak freely and openly.”

Shortly after the verdict was reached Depp also joined the social media platform, Tik Tok. In his first post on the app his caption, in part, read, “To all of my most treasured, loyal and unwavering supporters…We did the right thing together, all because you cared. And now, we will all move forward together. You are, as always, my employers and once again I am whittled down to no way to say thank you, other than just by saying thank you. So, thank you. My love & respect. JD.”