MLB season preview

Photo via Creative Commons

Arizona Diamondbacks:

(52-110) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in NL West).

Team Preview: The Diamondbacks are also coming off a rough season as they went 52-110 where they finished last in the NL West and (will hold the 2nd overall pick in the 2022 MLB Draft).

Atlanta Braves:

(88-73) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in NL East).

(World Series Champions)

Team Preview: The Braves are coming off a season where they made history by winning their first World Series since 1995. Despite losing franchise icon 1B Freddie Freeman in free agency to the Dodgers they acquired another star 1B Matt Olson from the A’s (who is a better 1B than Freeman). Choosing Olson over Freeman and extending him to be the 1B of the Braves for many years to come is definitely a better move for them in the long run (as Freeman will likely regress in a few years). 

Baltimore Orioles:

(52-110) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in AL East).

Team Preview: The Orioles are coming off a rough season as they will now enter the 4th year of their rebuild after finishing 52-110 last year (finisihing last in the AL East). (They will hold the 1st overall pick in the 2022 MLB Draft). But, they do have something to look forward to in 2022 and that’s the debut of star Catching prospect Adley Rutschmann. Orioles prospects RHP Grayson Rodriguez, and LHP DL Hall could also debut in 2022 with Rodriguez being more likielier, but it isn´t a foregrown conclusion that they will. 

Boston Red Sox:

(92-70) record in 2021.

(2nd place (second) in AL East).

Team Preview: The Red Sox are coming off a successful season where they made it to the ALCS and lost in 6 games to the Astros. Their offseason was headlined around the addition of SS Trevor Story from the Rockies who will play 2B with the Red Sox (with Boegarts playing SS). 

Chicago White Sox:

(93-69) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in AL Central).

Team Preview: The White Sox are coming off a successful season where they won the AL Central for the first time since 2008 and lost to the Astros in the ALDS in 4 games. Their offseason was mainly headlined on improving the bullpen and they did so by signing Kendall Graveman and Joe Kelly to multi-year contracts. 

Chicago Cubs:

(71-91) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in NL Central).

Team Preview: The Cubs are coming off a season where they tore it apart and started a rebuild at the 2021 trading deadline. They will be entering the first full season of their rebuild and their offseason was headlined on the signing of Mets free agent RHP Marcus Stroman to a multi-year deal. (Look for star prospect OF Brennan Davis to debut this season).

Cincinnati Reds:

(83-79) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in NL Central).

Team Preview: The Reds are coming off a season where they underachieved and missed the (postseason) second NL Wild Card spot by 7 games. Their offseason was headline on trading a lot of key pieces like Jesse Winker, Sonny Gray, osing star OF Nicholas Castellenos in free agency to the Phillies and (adding OF Tommy Pham, 1B/3B Colin Moran, UTL Donovan Solano in FA).

Cleveland Guardians:

(80-82) record in 2021. (as Indians)

(2nd place (second) in AL Central).

Team Preview: The Guardians are coming off their last season as the “Indians” where they were underachievers and missed the (postseason) second AL Wild Card spot by 12 games. Their offseason was headlined by a few small tier signings in C Luke Maile and RHP Bryan Shaw to a minor league deal and (they also extended closer RHP Emmanuel Clase a few days ago).

Colorado Rockies:

(74-87) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in NL West).

Team Preview: The Rockies are coming off a rebuilding season where they overperformed expectations of them being a 100+ loss team by only losing 87 games and winning 74. Their offseason was headlined by the big signing of UTL Kris Bryant to a 7 year $182M deal (and he will be their primarily LF in 2022).

Detroit Tigers:

(77-85) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in AL Central).

Team Preview: The Tigers are coming off another rebuilding season where they also (like the Rockies) outperformed expectations of them only being projected to win 68 games, while winning 77 in 2021. Their offseason was headlined by the big signing of SS Javier Baez to a 6 year $140M deal.

Houston Astros:

(95-87) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in AL West).

Team Preview: The Astros are coming off a successful season where they fell 2 games short of winning their 2nd World Series in franchise history (losing to the Braves in 6 games). Their offseason was headlined on the re-signing of star RHP Justin Verlander to a 2 year $50M deal with a $25M player option for 2023 and the departure of star SS Carlos Correa to the Twins.  

Kansas City Royals:

(74-88) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in AL Central).

Team Preview: The Royals are coming off another rebuilding season where they missed the (postseason) second AL Wild Card spot by 18 games (and the emergence of C Salvador Perez who broke the All-Time record for homers for a catcher in a season with 48). Their offseason was headlined on the reunion with RHP Zack Greinke on a 1 year $13M deal, (who started his career with the Royals back in 2004). 

Los Angeles Angels:

(77-85) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in AL West)

Team Preview: The Angels are coming off another tough season where they missed the (postseason) second AL Wild Card spot by 15 games and lost star OF Mike Trout to injury for the rest of the season in May. Their offseason was headlined on multiple additions to the rotation and bullpen most notably signing Mets free agent RHP Noah Syndergaard to a 1 year $21M deal (and re-signing closer RHP Raisel Igelsias to a 4 year $58M deal).

Los Angeles Dodgers:

(106-56) record in 2021.

(2nd place (second) in NL West)

Team Preview: The Dodgers are coming off another successful season where they lost to the Braves in 6 games in the NLCS (4 games to 2). Their offseason was headlined by the addition of star 1B Freddie Freeman from the Braves and the departures of star SS Corey Seager to the (Rangers) and star RHP Max Scherzer to the (Mets).

Miami Marlins:

(67-95) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in NL East)

Team Preview: The Marlins are coming off another rebuilding season where they missed the playoffs and saw the emergence of young RHP´s Sandy Alcantara and Pablo Lopez. Their offseason was headlined on the addition of OF Avasail Garcia, OF Jorge Soler, and extending star RHP Sandy Alcantara to a long-term deal.

Milwaukee Brewers:

(95-67) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in NL Central)

Team Preview: The Brewers are coming off a successful season where they lost to the Braves in the NLDS in 4 games (3-1). Their offseason was headlined on the addition of OF´s Hunter Renfroe (via trade) and (via free agency) Andrew McCutchen to a one-year $8.5M deal.

Minnesota Twins:

(73-89) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in AL Central)

Team Preview: The Twins are coming off a disappointing season where they had expectations to be a playoff team at the start of the year missing the (postseason) second AL Wild Card spot by 19 games. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Astros star SS Carlos Correa to a 3 year $105M deal and trading for Reds RHP Sonny Gray.

New York Yankees: 

(92-70) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in AL East)

Team Preview: The Yankees are coming off a disappointing season where they had World Series expectations, but ultimately fell short of that losing 6-2 to the Red Sox in the AL Wild Card game at Fenway Park. Their offseason was headlined on a trade for 3B Josh Donaldson/SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa/and C Ben Rortvedt for 3B Gio Urshela, and C Gary Sanchez.

New York Mets:

(77-85) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in NL East)

Team Preview: The Mets are coming off a disappointing season where they missed the postseason by 13 games and lost star RHP Jacob deGrom to injury in late July. Their offseason was headlined on the addition of Dodgers star RHP Max Scherzer to a 3 year $130M contract and the departure of star SS Javier Baez to the Tigers.

Oakland Athletics:

(86-76) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in AL West)

Team Preview: The Athletics are coming off a disappointing season where they missed the (postseason) second AL Wild Card spot by 4 games to the Yankees. Their offseason was headlined by starting a full rebuild by trading star 1B Matt Olson, 3B Matt Chapman, LHP Sean Manaea, and losing star CF Starling Marte to the Mets in free agency.

Philadelphia Phillies:

(82-80) record in 2021.

(2nd place (second) in NL East)

Team Preview: The Phillies are coming off another disappointing season where they missed the playoffs for the 10th year in a row. Their offseason was headlined by the signings of OF´s Nicholas Castellenos and Kyle Schwarber to long-term deals.

Pittsburgh Pirates:

(61-101) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in NL Central)

Team Preview: The Pirates are coming off another rebuilding season where they got to see the debut´s of prospects RHP Roasny Conteras, and SS O´neil Cruz at the end of the year (they also got to see a full year of INF Ke´Bryan Hayes despite his injuries). Their offseason was headlined by the signing of LHP Jose Quintana to a 1 year $4M deal (and they will be seeing the debut of Diego Castillo on Opening Day, and eventual see O´Neil Cruz back up in the bigs as he will battle for the 2022 NL ROTY award when called up.

San Diego Padres:

(79-83) record in 2021.

(3rd place (third) in NL West)

Team Preview: The Padres are coming off a disappointing season where they had playoff expectations after multiple additions to the pitching staff in the 2020-2021 offseason but missed the postseason and ended up firing manager Jaycee Tingler (replacing him with A´ś manager Bob Melvin). Their offseason was headlined on additions to the pitching staff both starting and relieving.

San Francisco Giants:

(107-55) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in NL West)

Team Preview: The Giants are coming off a successful season where they surprised people by taking the NL West divisional crown from the Dodgers, but ultimately lost to them in 5 games in the NLDS. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of White Sox star LHP Carlos Rodon to a 3 year $44M deal.

Seattle Mariners:

(90-72) record in 2021.

(2nd place (second) in AL West)

Team Preview: The Mariners are coming off a successful season where they surprised many by almost making the playoffs, losing out on the second AL Wild Card spot by 2 games to the Yankees. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Blue Jays star LHP Robbie Ray to a 5 year $115M deal and the trade for Reds star OF Jesse Winker.

St. Louis Cardinals:

(90-72) record in 2021.

(2nd place (second) in NL Central)

Team Preview: The Cardinals are coming off a successful season where they won 16 games in a row in September to earn the second NL Wild Card spot, but ultimately lost to the Dodgers in the NL Wild Card game 3-1. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Blue Jays free agent LHP Steven Matz to a 4 year $44M deal and bringing back franchise icon DH/1B Albert Pujols on a 1 year $2.5M deal.

Tampa Bay Rays:

(100-62) record in 2021.

(1st place (first) in AL East)

Team Preview: The Rays are coming off another successful season where they won 100 games for the first time in franchise history and won their second AL East division title in a row, but ultimately lost 3 games to 1 to the Red Sox in the ALDS. Their offseason was headlined on extending star SS Wander Franco to a 11-year $182M contract, signing Yankees free agent RHP Corey Kluber to a one-year deal and trading Austin Meadows to the Tigers (last night).

Texas Rangers:

(60-102) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in AL West)

Team Preview: The Rangers are coming off another rebuilding year where they finished last in the AL West for the second straight year, but saw the debuts of prospects LHP A.J Alexy, RHP Glenn Otto, INF Yonny Hernandez, and 3B Andy Ibanez. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Dodgers star free agent SS Corey Seager to a 10 year $325M deal and signing Blue Jays star 2B Marcus Semien to a 7 year $175M deal.

Toronto Blue Jays:

(91-71) record in 2021.

(4th place (fourth) in AL East)

Team Preview: The Blue Jays are coming off a successful season where they ultimately fell short of the second AL Wild Card spot by 1 game to their division rivals the Yankees. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Giants star free agent RHP Kevin Gausman to a 5 year $110M deal and the departures of LHP Robbie Ray and 2B Marcus Semien.

Washington Nationals:

(65-97) record in 2021.

(5th place (last) in NL East)

Team Preview: The Nationals are coming off a rebuilding season where they tore it apart at the deadline by trading SS Trea Turner, RHP Max Scherzer, C Yan Gomes, INF Josh Harrison away to other teams to start off their rebuild. Their offseason was headlined on the signing of Rays star free agent DH Nelson Cruz to a one-year $15M deal.