Summer reading winners selected

The Summer Reading March Madness bracket returns heading into the 2022-23 school year. A tournament created by the English teachers to determine the options for the summer reading book options, the books are put against each other in a bracket-style tournament, and the winners of the match- ups are picked by the students.

The choices have been narrowed down to the final four, which will be the books students will have to choose from. There are two fiction and two nonfiction books to pick from. The fiction books are A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham and The Cost of Knowing by Brittany Morris, and the nonfiction books are Permanent Record: How One Man Exposed the Truth About Government Spying and Digital Security by Edward Snowden and Cramm This Book: So You Know WTF is Going on in the World Today by Olivia Seltzer.

The first fiction book, A Flicker in the Dark is a murder mystery. Goodreads.com summary of the book reads, “When Chloe Davis was twelve, six teenage girls went missing in her small Louisiana town. By the end of the summer, Chloe’s father had been arrested as a serial killer and promptly put in prison. Chloe and the rest of her family were left to grapple with the truth and try to move forward while dealing with the aftermath.

Now 20 years later, Chloe is a psychologist in private practice in Baton Rouge and getting ready for her wedding. She finally has a fragile grasp on the happiness she’s worked so hard to get. Sometimes, though, she feels as out of control of her own life as the troubled teens who are her patients.

And then a local teenage girl goes missing, and then another, and that terrifying summer comes crashing back. Is she paranoid, and seeing parallels that aren’t really there, or for the second time in her life, is she about to unmask a killer?”

The other fiction book, The Cost of Knowing, is a book about a boy named Alex who can see into the future by touching a person or an object. According to the goodreads.com summary of the book, “It’s hard too, for him to be present when every time he touches an object or person, Alex sees into its future.

When he touches a scoop, he has a vision of him using it to scoop ice cream. When he touches his car, he sees it years from now, totaled and underwater. When he touches Talia, he sees them at the precipice of breaking up, and that terrifies him. Alex feels these visions are a curse, distracting him, making him anxious and unable to live an ordinary life.”

As for the nonfiction books, Permanent Record: How One Man Exposed the Truth About Government Spying and Digital Security is an autobiography written by Edward Snowden, and he tells his story about “building a system of mass surveillance with the ability to gaze into the private lives of every person on earth.” He talks about his attempt to expose government data, as well as how the younger generation can protect their own personal information.

Cramm This Book: So You Know WTF is Going on in the World Today is a guide to everything going on today. “Read this book for the scoop behind the scoop of the day: for the context you need to understand everything from the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East to the origins of Black Lives Matter and Me Too to the full deal with all of the wildfires and hurricanes we see each year.” It gives a look into what is going on in the world, and gives the most important aspects of what you should know.