Disney plus updates their content with new shows

home+page+of+the+disney+plus+app+previews+the+new+mature+shows+now+available+
morgan sikes
home page of the disney plus app previews the new mature shows now available

If you’ve clicked onto your Disney Plus profile recently, you may have noticed a message asking if you would like to have access to a “full catalog,” which automatically sets your content rating to TV-MA. 

This new setting was implemented on March 16, when Disney Plus started adding mature content, such as many Marvel TV shows. These shows include “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” “Iron Fist,” “The Defenders,” and “The Punisher.” More shows under this mature rating can be expected in the future.

This TV-MA content rating can be changed through the parental controls. You’ll be asked upon opening the app asking if you would like to access the full catalog. If you check the box for this content rating, you’ll be asked to confirm it with the password to your account and to create an optional four-digit profile pin to prevent others on your account from entering your profile. If you do not wish to have a full catalog, your profile will be automatically set to TV-14. Profiles set to a kid profile will not be asked to set up a full catalog.

After setting up one profile to whatever content rating you wish, Disney Plus will ask you to set the content ratings for any other profiles on the account, except those already set to a kids profile. 

If, for whatever reason, Disney Plus did not ask you to set up these parental controls, you can change them by editing your profile settings. Scroll down to parental controls, click on content rating, enter your password, then select the content rating wanted for the corresponding profile. After pressing save, you have the option to set up a four-digit profile pin.

It’s unknown what else may arrive on Disney Plus with this new TV-MA setting. Though, as this new content rating pushes the limits of what can be on Disney Plus, it’s almost promised that any R-rated shows and movies can be added in the future. 

The Direct predicts “that both Deadpool and Deadpool 2 [will] arrive on Disney+ around the time of Deadpool 3’s first trailer, to ensure fans can catch up on the franchise before the threequel’s theatrical debut.”

However, parents have communicated their concern and outrage over this TV-MA setting as it goes against the traditional family friendliness that Disney has expressed since its founding in 1923. The Parents Television and Media Council said that Disney Plus’ “foray into TV-MA-rated fare will forever tarnish its family friendly crowd.”

Still, fans of Marvel are ecstatic over the new content to be streamed. You can expect more TV-MA and R-rated content from Disney Plus in the future.