Dolce & Gabbana stops their use of real animal fur

Jane Holmes
People begin to make their switch to faux fur coats, following the trends of major brands

Amidst a growing popularity to seek alternative materials to animal products, Dolce and Gabbana announced its decision to stop clothing production with the use of animal fur.

This year, the company will join the long list of major fashion companies to ban the use of animal fur and begin the use of sustainable “eco-fur”.

The label shared that it would “phase out fur from this year, but continue working with ‘master furriers’ to create a sustainable faux fur alternative.” The fur uses recyclable materials, making their upcoming products extremely eco-friendly.

Dolce & Gabbana aims to see a future that is all around filled with fewer toxic and harmful materials, and that change starts within their clothing lines. Recognizing the worsening climate of Earth’s issues, Dolce & Gabbana made the effective decision to do its part in bettering the future.

With the pressure of similar brands making the change in recent years, Dolce & Gabbana has recently been facing many calls to ban animal fur, which pushed them to declare this final decision.

Fedele Usai, the group’s communication and marketing officer, shared that “the entire fashion system has a significant social responsibility role that must be promoted and encouraged.” Usai recognizes the influence and prominence the fashion industry has on everyone’s lives, and thus explains that Dolce & Gabbana must change their production ways to relay a better message to their consumers.

The fashion industry heavily contributes to the active acts of animal cruelty to provide brands with material, thus by halting the use of animal fur, Dolce & Gabbana is positively contributing to the support of the animals that fall victim to this industry.

According to FOUR PAWS, approximately over two billion animals are used each year to benefit the global fashion industry. So by shifting to eco-fur, Dolce & Gabbana is simultaneously raising awareness and joining the movement to change.

Dolce & Gabbana has yet to release further details about how its faux fur will be made and from what specific materials, but it assured the public that its new policy meets the Fur Free Alliance, an animal protection organization, guidelines.

Fur Free Alliance’s chairman Joh Vinding even recognized Dolce & Gabbana for its wise decision of “ending its association with fur cruelty and transitioning to more humane and innovative materials”, and commends the brand for choosing to be environmentally conscious for the future.

Regarding the materials of Dolce & Gabbana’s new eco-fur, eco-friendly brands typically use a blend of acrylic and polyester fibers to create their faux fur. The production of faux fur can go down many different routes. Other common techniques incorporate weaving or tufting or even infusing other materials such as wool or cotton.

Dolce & Gabbana has officially joined fellow high-end brands Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Burberry, Yves Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, as well as retailers Macy’s and Bloomingdales in the fight against animal cruelty.