Underclassmen scheduling for 2022-23 school year underway

Matt Lesnik
Guidance office decorated for Valentine’s Day

Bernards High School students have started planning their academic schedules for next year. Scheduling seems daunting for newcomers, but it’s an annual practice that becomes familiar over the years. The PowerSchool Portal to request any classes has been closed since January 9th, so any scheduling requests need to be taken up with the guidance department and the student’s counselor.

Assistance will be provided by guidance counselors when making a student’s final schedule to make sure the student fully understands the decisions they are making and that it will help fulfill their required electives along the way. Meetings between parents, students, and counselors are currently taking place as of January 11, 2022, and will extend into the month of February.

Each student and parent(s) will be allocated 20 minutes to speak with guidance counselors about their students’ classes and academic future. This is a busy time of year for the guidance department and meeting times are subject to change in short notice. Counselor contact information can be found on the BHS website under the “Program of Studies” document on page three.
The Program of Studies document also houses all information on classes. Credit values, required classes, elective options, english, sciences, mathematics, world language, arts, and any other course options can be found on this document. See page four to view the table of contents.

Study hall requests are encouraged for any student who is participating in extracurricular activities, sports, or is employed if need be. Requests for study halls should be entered now as schedule change in the future may prove to be difficult.

At this point in the scheduling process, teachers have put in their recommendations for the 2022/2023 school year and were available from home on PowerSchool until January 9th. To view recommendations past that date, contact your guidance counselor.

Changes in requests post creation of a student’s schedule should be put through before April 1st, 2022. Beyond this point, any changes made to schedules will complicate organization of the school’s master schedule. Questions can be answered by guidance counselors at any time.