Winter Track 2021-22 season preview

Sydney Kaul
Track Team gets ready for the season

On Monday, December 6th, the winter track team met for their first practice of the 2021-22 season. Just like many other aspects of the Bernard’s High School community, the winter track team will be returning to a more normal environment, as compared to last year’s season. It is already off to a better start, as last year’s season’s first practice was on February 1st, 2021. 

Last year, the team was unable to compete in track meets. Typical seasons have many indoor meets, which are attended by many different schools, which didn’t align with proper safety protocols for COVID-19. Instead, the team created mini teams amongst themselves and competed against each other at the high school track. Luckily, they will not have to resort to alternate solutions and will be able to return to track meets consistently throughout this season. They will attend their first meet on January 12th at Rockland community college in Suffern NY.

COVID-19 guidelines and regulations are similar to those of last year. Masks and social distancing are required, but athletes will not have to fill out the daily covid form anymore. As far as practices go, they will be the same as previous years. They will meet after school every day and practice on the track, unless weather prevents them from practicing outside. Oftentimes in this case, the team will meet indoors and practice to the best of their ability. 

Although many athletes feel as though their winter track season is still skewed and not fully returned to normal, it is important to look at the positives of the situation. Coach LaChac feels that it is a priority to “focus on what we can do, rather than dwell over what we cannot”. While in the midst of a pandemic, everything is unpredictable and subject to change. With that said, it is best for the team to prepare for meets to be canceled during the duration of their season. While it is important to prepare for the worst during these unprecedented times, it is also important to maintain a positive outlook.

Winter track allows athletes to better themselves, through discipline and skill, and growth as a team. Athletes have no idea when this season could end for them, but they are just happy to have the time together. All athletes during a pandemic have learned to cherish their time with their teams and not take the season for granted. 

Junior Mariana DiBias shares that “I am thrilled to be back to competing at the meets. Despite how challenging this sport can be, we push each other to become the best athletes we can be, and I am so grateful that we get to translate that hard work and dedication into the meets again”. 

As this year continues to unfold, we continue to learn to adapt and overcome these challenges that COVID-19 has presented, and evidently come out the other side stronger.