16 year olds eligible for vaccine in New Jersey

Recent reports from Pfizer are giving people everywhere a hopeful glance into the future. Seeing the age restrictions slowly loosen up is a huge step in the direction of freedom, and teenagers feel a new sense of security as their peers begin to achieve immunity from COVID.

In New Jersey, vaccine eligibility is changing rapidly. Week by week, more updates are coming out in an attempt to control the influx of people wanting the vaccine as well as administering vaccines only to those who the vaccine is safe for. “On April 5, eligibility expanded to include additional essential workers, individuals aged 55+, and individuals age 16+ with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Beginning Monday, April 19th, all individuals aged 16 and older will be eligible for vaccination” The New Jersey Department of Health released.

Teens eligible are limited to the Pfizer vaccine as it is the only one authorized for use by people under the age of 18. While this allows for more freedom, parental consent is required in order to be vaccinated. On March 31, Pfizer reports “In participants aged 12-15 years old, BNT162b2 demonstrated 100% efficacy and robust antibody responses, exceeding those reported in trials of vaccinated 16-25 year old participants in an earlier analysis, and was well tolerated.” This verifies the eligibility of the vaccine for COVID, as well as opening up the opportunity for younger adolescents to become immune. 

As high school students are beginning to receive their doses of the vaccine, more talks of events such as prom are on the horizon. While it is important to get vaccinated and become immune to COVID, it is also equally necessary to continue compliance with the government issued restrictions and mandations. If you are able, officials everywhere urge you to get the vaccine in hopes of a ‘normal’ future.