J.J. Watt signs with the Cardinals

Former Texans D-Lineman, J.J. Watt recently agreed to part ways with the team. After a lot of drama, including trading Wide Receiver Deandre Hopkins away for not much in return and an awful 2020 season, finishing 4-12, Watt and the team decided it was best to move on. It seems that the management of the Texans and some of the players are not on great terms, which definitely had something to do with this decision. Especially Pro-Bowl Quarterback Deshaun Watson wanting out of Houston and not finding any agreement with the management. Overall, Watt’s time in Houston ended and he signed with a surprising team.

Many reporters and analysts expected Watt to sign with the Bills, Browns, or Packers, and maybe even the Steelers to join his two brothers. This all changed on March 1st, when Watt posted a picture of himself in an Arizona Cardinals T-shirt with the caption, “Source: me.” Informing the world who he had signed with. “Very excited to get started, get to work, get to know the people of Arizona.” Watt after the signing.

Many sports websites, including Bleacher Report did not have the Cardinals listed as a possible team for Watt to sign with. Nonetheless, Watt seems motivated and ready to continue his impressive career in his attempt to win a championship. 

J.J. Watt’s former Texan teammate and now Cardinal teammate, Deandre Hopkins had this to say, “Let’s finish what we started…” and “Life is good in Arizona!” After Arizona finished 8-8, including back to back losses at the end of the year pushing them out a possible playoff push, they look to bounce back with J.J. Watt. 

According to ESPN, Watt signed a 2-year, $31 million contract, with $23 million guaranteed. Watt is a great signing for the Cardinals, but comes with some risk. Since the 2017 NFL season, Watt has missed 19 games. Although he has been injured in the past couple of seasons, he did play all 16 games for the Texans last season, which is good news for Cardinals fans.