The Benefit of pets during quarantine

2020 has been a year full of unprecedented and nerve-racking times, including our quarantine which lasted several months. With everyone stuck at home, with not much to do, it would be the perfect time to welcome a new pet into the family. It gives the pet a great, new life, and it keeps the family busy and excited.
According to the Mental Health Foundation, having a pet is a great way to stay active during such uncertain times. Those who suffer from depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues will benefit greatly from having an animal living with them. Having a pet sit next to their owners and keep them company can give them a chance to relax and clear their minds. Imagine you come home from a long day at school or work, and you enter your quiet house, wouldn’t you love to have a puppy or a cat run to you exploding with joy as you walk through the door?
Pets bring so much happiness to people’s lives. A reliable town dogsitter stated, “ I got my third dog during quarantine, and it has changed my life. Yes, having pets is like having children, but there is nothing else like it. When my cat passed away two years ago I always thought that it’s just going to be my husband, my two dogs, and I, but we ended up getting another dog and loving her.” Research has shown that interacting with animals can lower stress levels, helps people relax, and reduce loneliness. Many people are lonely and don’t have friends or family to turn to when they are upset, so having a pet can be their way to cope. This is often referred to as a therapy or service animal.
Along with mental health benefits there are also several physical health benefits that correspond to having a pet during this pandemic. According to UCLA Health, having a pet: lowers blood pressure, reduces medication, diminishes physical pain, and helps you stay exercised. For children with special needs this time is especially rough, these children feel a deep bond with animals, this bond is said to be stronger than their connection with humans. Dogs, cats, or small animals can act as catalysts during therapy sessions creating a more comfortable setting for the client. Corona-virus has put a very large burden on people today. Having a pet or a companion during this difficult time is a very great experience that will supply you with lots of benefits.