Los Angeles Dodgers Win World Series, Justin Turner Tests Positive for COVID-19

pixy.org
Free image/jpeg, Resolution: 800×600, File size: 37Kb, Logo of Los Angeles Dodgers clipart

The 2020 MLB season was filled with much uncertainty, and many did not know if they would be able to finish the whole season. However, they did, and on October 27th, the Los Angeles Dodgers defeated the Tampa Bay Rays, and were crowned World Series Champions for the first time since 1988. 

This season was very odd. It was supposed to start on March 26th, however after the NBA and NHL put the remainder of their seasons’ on hold due to the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the MLB followed suit, delaying Opening Day indefinitely. After a lengthy battle between the owners and the MLB Players Association, teams were set to play a 60 game season, and opening day was set to July 23rd. After a season filled with difficulty, including several teams having to shut down due to COVID outbreaks, the MLB ended up finishing the season. 

In a World Series that took place entirely in Arlington, home of the Texas Rangers, the Los Angeles Dodgers faced off against the Tampa Bay Rays, the two best teams in the league this season. The series was filled with tons of exciting moments, including when Brett Phillips of the Rays drove in two runs to walk off Game 4. The Rays may have won that game, but the Dodgers won the series in six games. The MVP was given to shortstop Corey Seager, who batted .400 with two home runs and five RBI’s in the series. However, another story sprouted during the game that may have even overshadowed the Dodgers victory.

During the game, Dodgers star third baseman Justin Turner was reported to have tested positive for COVID-19. This came as a shock, as the players had been in a “bubble” for the postseason. Turner was immediately taken out of the game and isolated from his teammates. However, Turner was seen back on the field for the postgame celebration and ceremony, which was in clear violation of the MLB’s COVID regulations. 

After the game, Turner tweeted “Thanks to everyone reaching out! I feel great, no symptoms at all. Just experienced every emotion you can possibly imagine. Can’t believe I couldn’t be out there to celebrate with my guys! So proud of this team & unbelievably happy for the City of LA”.

An investigation was launched into the incident, and though it was deemed a violation of the guidelines, Turner was not punished.

After a wild season, the Los Angeles Dodgers were crowned World Series champions. It was a team effort that deserves much recognition, and though some may try to put an asterisk on it, nothing can take away from such a great victory.