Distance learning is a good alternative

Jon Buckley

Due to the outbreak of Covid-19 in New Jersey Bernards High School enacted Remote Learning, which allowed education to continue at home since during quarantine. Remote Learning, despite students not being physically in school every Remote Learning session still counted towards the 180 school day requirement. 

Many students are in favor of Remote Learning, with Junior Adam Salmanowitz saying,” Remote Learning provides a stress-free alternative, allowing students more time with their families.” 

The Coronavirus outbreak has been hard on many people so more time with their families would be beneficial to mental health. It also drastically reduces the risk of students catching and spreading COVID-19 by making social distancing less difficult. 

Freshman Alexander Wellington said, “There are fewer classes per day,” Having only half of the classes every day allows students more time to complete their work and gives teachers more time to prepare and grade assignments.

It also allows school to start later, meaning more sleep for students which is a big problem with traditional school. While the loss of spring sports it a major downside it could not have been avoided and would still be preferable to what would have happened if the disease were able to spread more quickly.