Tik Tok takes over the internet

Courtesy of tiktok.com
The apps well known logo.

Everywhere you look, people are entranced in their phones, flailing their arms, and singing the cursed word “Renegade.”

Quickly growing to be a well-known app, TikTok has surged in popularity.

An app to showcase different dances and lip-syncs, TikTok has become a very creative program for all users. As stated by Sensor Tower Inc, TikTok is the most downloaded app with 33 million downloads topping Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, almost everyone knows and has TikTok.

The app has a wider and younger base of audience making it a whole new subculture. Many users have gained a large platform, one including Charli D’Amelio only 15 years old, the newest and most successful viral teen. D’Amelio has attained over 5 million users in only less than three months surpassing other popular creators and bringing the “hype” to her. Other well-known creators include Loren Gray, Chase Hudson, and Adison Rae, all with a huge audience behind them as well.

According to the Global Web Index, 44% of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24. Taking over most of the teen world, everyone is getting involved in this entrancing app.
Some students with a TikTok account even have a large following behind them.

Sophomore Marlene Ortiz with 22.5k followers said, “I enjoy TikTok because it’s something fun to do when you’re bored or with friends. There are so many different audios to make videos to which allows you to express yourself through it.”

Another sophomore, Mary Katchen with 6.5k followers said, “TikTok is probably my favorite app. It’s so fun to learn different dances or just to do when you’re bored or with friends. I can never stop watching the videos when I’m on it since they’re so funny. My favorite dance to do is “TOES” by DaBaby. The moves are so fun and give me positive vibes when I dance. I can express myself while dancing and I don’t care if I am being judged. Overall I would rate TikTok a solid 10/10 because it boosts my confidence and makes me happier. Download TikTok, you won’t regret it.”

Not only the users, but the many songs that come with the typical TikTok dances have gained attention. The song “Lottery” by K CAMP has become known as the renegade dance. As well as “The Box” by Roddy Rich and “Say So” by Doja Cat. The 15-second dances to these few songs have become an entertaining way for people to connect everywhere.

Conversely, there is much more behind TikTok then the singing and dancing. TikTok has been recently under investigation regarding the American government sending data to China. Although China “blocks many foreign companies from openly existing online in the country ” there have lately been more developed technological advancements to acquiring information. To stop this “lawmakers and Trump administration officials have set up numerous barriers to stop Chinese firms from acquiring American data and technology”, according to The New York Times. U.S. government officials have been alerted by China’s national intelligence law, which requires companies to adhere to highly advanced operations, making it more difficult to see where all of TikTok’s information is going. The New York Times also stated, “Data about TikTok users, including their videos, names, dates of birth and other information, was stored exclusively on computer servers in Virginia and Singapore”. From this, TikTok has announced that it is working with a nonprofit organization to focus on children’s online safety.

Although not knowing what goes on behind these fun dances, billions of TikToker users are continuing to create these enthusiastic and enjoyable videos.